BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

videos for playback by client

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohenvideos for playback by client
by on Oct 3, 2008 at 3:24:03 pm

We have a client who want to be able to videotape mock-interviews and hand the participant the video immediately. They do dozens of these in a day.

My inclination is to use a consumer DVD recorder, which takes a couple of minutes to finalize the disc. Just feed the audio and video from the camcorder to the DVD recorder. We could rent a tv monitor from the conference center to monitor the recording and check playback before handing over the disc.

Currently they are using a Sony DVD camcorder, which as we all know, is not the best invention. The camcorder takes about 10 minutes to finalize the disc, plus you need to initialize the disc before recording. Thus you would have about 15 minutes waiting between interviews.

Anyone have an alternate idea?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: videos for playback by client
by on Oct 3, 2008 at 3:42:55 pm

I think your inclinations are right... if these are just mock interviews and they need a raw burn immediately on DVD, then hot rolling right into a DVD recorder is probably the easiest way to go. Also, probably the cheapest. You rarely see that combination.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: videos for playback by client
by on Oct 3, 2008 at 3:49:00 pm

[Mike Cohen] "My inclination is to use a consumer DVD recorder, which takes a couple of minutes to finalize the disc. "

That's what I would recommend. Fast and simple.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: videos for playback by client
by on Oct 3, 2008 at 7:57:47 pm

Agreed. One other plus: many of these have a Hard Drive that can record simultaneously, keep one copy on the HD, and you can burn extra dvd dubs later if needed. Including playlists of selected cuts.

I like the Panasonic models for this, we use the DMR T-3040 and some close cousins. Others work too. The only pain is, the shorter the recording, the longer the finalizing step takes, as much as maybe eight minutes, but you don't dare not skip the finalize if you want compatibility. OTOH, you can remove the disc, record the next guy, then finalize them all one at a time at the end of the day...

Also, we only ever use the 2-hour speed, the high-capacity/low speed lacks quality IMO, and the higher quality one-hour "speed" has compatibility probs sometimes with various makes and ages of consumer gear. At least, that's been our experience.

Walmart and the like now sell VCR-like DVD recorders *without* tuners (just composite and component inputs) specifically marketed to people that just want to transfer VHS dubs and home movies, these are pretty cheap but most I think lach a hard drive. Still, for this particular application, could be just right.

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: videos for playback by client
by on Oct 4, 2008 at 2:15:48 am

Did you actually find a recorder that had component inputs anywhere??
I have been looking all over for one after my Philips DVD-R standalone died last month.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Steve WargoUse two
by on Oct 4, 2008 at 6:45:52 am

Use two recorders and switch between the two units. We use the Pioneer PRV-LX1.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Use two
by on Oct 6, 2008 at 9:52:57 pm

Those recorders are so cheap now, I suggest getting 2 and running a backup unit with a simple DA. Or, when we do that sort of thing, I usually set one up s-video from the camera and the second composite from the monitor jack and get a window burn; depending on your audio, you could split it out of the cam with each channel feeding a DA so you get interviewer on one channel, interviewee on the other or mix them first. Lots of options.

I've seen problems in the past too where the menus aren't generated correctly and the safety copy is nice.

Being rich has nothing to do with wealth.

Return to posts index

Jay CurtisRe: Use two
by on Oct 9, 2008 at 11:45:16 pm

I've seen this done on the extra-cheap before. I'll echo Mark's objection that the shorter the video, the longer the finalization.

Use two off-the-shelf DVD recorders, and alternate them. One is burning a live interview while the other one is finalizing the last one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved