BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How to Start a Media Services Business?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton hockman
How to Start a Media Services Business?
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:19:37 am

So I have been an Editor/Motion Graphics Designer/Flash Developer, etc. for the last 4 years.

I get a moderate salary but have recently learned that all i need is about 3-4000 dollars extra a year to maintain my current lifestyle as a freelancer/business owner.

This seems very attractive to me. Since i am hired out under my current employer at $125 and hour.

So, can you all tell me how to start a Media Services Business? How to find clients and get my business going?

I already have the skills to create compelling videos, graphics, and other media services. I just need some advice on getting the client list developed
Where i work now i cannot "steal" their clients. it's too tight knit. i would need to acquire new clients for my business.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
Re: How to Start a Media Services Business?
on Oct 3, 2008 at 12:01:47 pm

What part of the country are you in Milton.

MIck Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 3, 2008 at 12:34:33 pm

I have a three part series on starting and building your own business here on the Cow. Just click the link at the top of this forum for the Articles.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Oct 3, 2008 at 5:32:02 pm

[walter biscardi] "I have a three part series on starting and building your own business here on the Cow. Just click the link at the top of this forum for the Articles."

Highly recommended...BTW, when is that elusive part four coming out Walter???

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 3, 2008 at 1:48:54 pm

When you say Media Services business it sounds like you mean primarily pre/postproduction services, or are you wanting to get into the media buying business as well (become a full fledged agency)?

If you're also wanting to go into media buying, you need to find an experienced media buyer. A media buyers world is complicated, and you really need to know what you're doing to get a good buy, hit the right demographic, and with enough frequency to do your clients any good. If you're just buying blind you're wasting your time and your client's money.

Regardless of what type of business you're wanting, read Walter's articles. They're very well done and outline a lot of the details most people don't think about, or even know to think about.

Also, if you've never done sales--consider finding a good salesperson to work with. They could make commission on the clients they bring you, you make money on the production services. Sales is a tough, tough business and if you don't have a thick skin it will quickly get to you.

Good luck.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Larry S. Evans II
on Oct 16, 2008 at 9:53:34 pm

My company bills $150 an hour for my work. Oddly enough that's not what I'm paid.

The difference between what I make and what my time bills for goes to all sorts of things like the office space (yes you can work from home-if your zoning and/or deed restrictions allow it- can you expect clients to pay $125 to meet you over the kitchen table?), electricity, phones, office supplies, payroll taxes, social security, insurance (health, property/casualty, auto, E&O, etc.), hardware and software upgrades, marketing costs, collection costs, and accounting -just to name a few.

A whole lot has to be done to make a business viable, and unless you are a master of all of it, and can still find time to do the actual revenue producing work, you may find yourself quickly in deep trouble.

I'd suggest you seriously re-evaluate your supposition that you only need an additional 3-4k to go out on your own. Ambition is a fine thing, and good luck with it, but check your numbers against reality first.

Larry S. Evans II

Executive Producer

Digital I Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]