BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Designing for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett FrameDesigning for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:10:36 pm

Hello All,
Not sure where to post this.

Over the passed few months we have bumped into a few clients who have interests in having video and audio designed for things like small museum and shopping center. They have mentioned video kiosks, they have mentioned video walls that may act as moving art, and they have mentioned audio needs that can compliment the experience of the facility, be it audio for the video or just general audio set around... maybe an guided museum tour with the audio in the ceiling as you move through the place.

We would like to go back to them and help them with all they need but at this time we only know how to produce the video or the audio. We do not have experience working with kiosks, large displays etc.

Would anyone have any insight or resources they could point me to regarding the implementation of the ideas on site. How does a large multi-display work, a kiosk, etc.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Designing for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:14:54 pm

We've done some of this... but the COW gang over at the Live & Stage Events forum are the ones who are really know the ins and outs of things like multi-displays and things like that.

If you copy your post over there I'm betting some smart folks will chime in.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Brett FrameRe: Designing for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:28:47 pm

Thank you... I will do that.

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: Designing for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound
by on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:36:34 am

We've done a handful of informational kiosks and we got a lot of help from the Director forum as well. The ones we designed had touchscreens that would trigger video, informational graphics, animations etc. on a larger LCD or plasma display. In each, we basically built a wide presentation with the menu on one side and the display info (including videos) on the other.

What seemed really complex turned out to be pretty simple in terms of structure and design. We designed everything and produced the videos, but doing the programming was pretty complex so we hired out a freelancer for that.

But I bet there are some people on the Director site that have done stuff similar to what you're asking.

Also...I just got back from a Disney vacation with my family and their theme parks have some of the most amazing kiosks, wall displays and interactive stuff I've ever seen. Wonder if the Disney folks frequent these forums?? Worth asking around.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Designing for Kiosks, wall displays, ambient sound
by on Oct 1, 2008 at 8:07:54 pm

Hi Brett,

We do a lot of large format & multi-display work, and there are many, many possible solutions for different needs.

Do you envision multiple plasmas mounted on a wall? A large, hi-res seamless rear projection wall? Is the content static, dynamic, or interactive? How often is content updated, if it all? Do you need to integrate lighting as well as audio and video?

Some more detail on what you want to accomplish would help narrow down the solutions you might consider.

Walter Soyka

Keen Live, Inc.

Digital Media Design & Technology

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved