BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Medical / surgical video opportunities

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark AlexanderMedical / surgical video opportunities
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 5:35:21 pm

I've searched but maybe didn't put in the correct search terms so I apologize for any redundancy.

I'm interested in learning more about the field of medical / surgical video production. I see that quite a few of you have done work in some fashion in that area. For Mike Cohen, if you're out there, please chime in.

Can you folks please provide some insight regarding the opportunities / need for video services in this field, who the target clients would be, how best to approach them etc. I guess I'm asking about the "basics" here!

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Medical / surgical video opportunities
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 6:23:40 pm

I routinely work with medical video folks in cities around the country. Often these local assets (sounds so CIA) work for hospitals, such as university hospitals which often have in-house AV departments. Sometimes these folks record some narration for a doctor I may be working with, or sometimes they shoot a procedure or a conference.

Are there a lot of hospitals in your area?

Don't limit yourself to surgical video however, since it is a pretty small niche.

Others on this board do work for doctor's practices, such as those videos you see in waiting rooms, or promotional work for hospitals.

Another targeted area is broadcast local commercials for local hospitals, as well as in-house training for hospitals.

Since every hospital has its own rules and regulations, you might think about making some contacts with human resources or emergency management officials, to see if they need any multimedia training resources. They may not or they may never have thought about it.

Yet another medical related target is local medical school training. Every med school has lots of lectures, although they are not necessarily being captured. Perhaps a smaller program in your area would be interested in having you record their lectures and post to their intranet so students can view later.

These are all some ideas geared toward serving your local medical community, as we do with hospitals in our area.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark AlexanderRe: Medical / surgical video opportunities
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 7:40:14 pm

Thanks Mike for the reply.

I'm in So. Calif with alot of hospitals (and competition!) around. I'll start looking to establishing contacts.

In the meantime though, would you say that in general, this is a "healthy" (Pun?, what pun?!) field to explore, or is it yet another highly competitive and saturated aspect of videography?

I may be naively thinking this is a good and viable field to look at. Let the market research begin.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Medical / surgical video opportunities
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:12:40 pm

Depends upon who you are targeting. Big hospitals of the USC and UCLA variety probably have internal resources for this type of work. Smaller or non-academic institutions such as John Wayne, Century City or Midway (are they still around?) may not.
You need to do some research, maybe even make some appointments to chat with some chiefs of staff or other administrators, knowing you probably won't get business but it would be good research to find out what needs may be untapped.

There are a lot of medical communications firms which specialize in promoting product launches and pharmaceuticals. Very similar to ad agencies, but they usually do not have in-house media capabilities. Hit the yellow pages, make a demo of your best corporate work, and make some appointments.

True, So Cal has an abundance of media people, so find a niche, which will take some research.

Good luck. Check back and let us know how you make out.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Medical / surgical video opportunities
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 4:36:02 pm

About 10 years ago I got lucky, I had a friend who was a nurse who knew the media person in the hospital and her cameraman didn't show up, so they called me. Since then I've been doing: focus groups, patient education, seminars, award ceremonies, etc... Of course with reimbursements being a problem in NJ, hospitals are cutting back with the these types of projects. If I didn't know someone, I don't think I would've gotten in.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved