BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Advertising Trade-Outs

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JenkinsAdvertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 5:41:01 pm

I have a long-time client that is a sports arena/events center. Their marketing department has been put on a spending freeze, which led to us discussing video work for advertising trade-out options. I'm thinking about installing a large video display (lcd or projection) in the arena concourse, running an extended, high energy advertisement for my services. The arena hosts regular WHL hockey games which are popular, as well as concerts and other entertainment events.

My questions are:
Has anyone done anything like this?
Any thoughts on effectiveness?
Technology options for video display? Best size to cost ratio?
Other pertinent musings?

Thanks much!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:02:02 pm

If I were in that situation I would ask myself what is the real value of that advertising to me? I don't know what your chief business is... maybe the hockey and concert crowd are your perfect potential client pool... or maybe they are not.

If they are, go for it, sounds like a good thing, especially if the type of production you do is consumer-based. If not, while you are getting some nice signage it may be wasted effort and you end up basically doing video production for them for free.

I had a similar experience... when I started this company almost 12 years ago, my previous (and very wonderful and supportive) boss gave me a very creative and unusual going away present: a billboard. They contracted for a month's run with an outdoor advertising company in our area, and secretly had my better half (who is a graphic artist) design a very cool-looking board.

I must admit, it was pretty neat thing seeing my brand-new company logo on a gigantic billboard as city traffic drove by.

But... we produce almost nothing but broadcast commercials, and our clients at that time were fairly limited to the dozen or so advertising agencies in the region. So... my nice billboard was definitely not hitting the right potential client base (nor would anyone expect a billboard to do so).

I did however get a number of the "Are you guys hiring?" calls from it. Considering that at that time I didn't even have an office yet and the company phone was ringing at my house (at all hours, too), it wasn't quite ideal.

It really just depends on who your target market is, to determine the value of the trade to you.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 6:27:04 pm

Makes perfect sense, Todd, and great story too! While I wouldn't consider it my perfect target market, those crowds are composed of people from all walks of life, working at all kinds of different companies... I do mostly tv ads, promos and corporate stuff. But, maybe people don't even think about work at all when they are out having fun.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 8:17:51 pm

If you had the right to run anything you wanted on it, say, advertising for others, it would be like leased-access infomercial time buys... which you then turn around as your own revenue stream, selling ad space. But I don't know how in their right mind the ad company or stadium would go for such a sweetheart deal, particularly as it is basically competition.

If you had a wedding and events video business, maybe....or to advertise music videos from local bands...

... still, I really don't see that venue as "right" for a video production company to advertise in. If the stadium has sky boxes, I would be more interested in putting some kind of promotional items or messages in there, because that theoretically is where executives with need and power to decide would be.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:12:40 pm

You see in some supermarkets a plasma screen running advertising slides, like at the movie theater before the previews. I believe the store receives a monthly fee from the owner of the screen, and the ads can be anything. Presumably ads for competing supermarkets would not be allowed.)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2008 at 4:33:38 pm

You guys come up with some great angles!

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2008 at 4:28:02 pm

[Mark Suszko] "If the stadium has sky boxes, I would be more interested in putting some kind of promotional items or messages in there, because that theoretically is where executives with need and power to decide would be."

They do have suites... hmmmm.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 4:49:02 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "They do have suites... hmmmm."

There's your much more appropriate (and captive) audience for your particular type of production. If it comes down to an either/or type of situation (skyboxes vs. arena), I'd take the suites any day.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Advertising Trade-Outs
by on Oct 2, 2008 at 10:34:21 am

And it's not just the advertising potential in the suite/skybox, but your opportunity to entertain current and prospective clients in a really unique way. Gather up groups of your best customers and cater some evenings at the rink. It's WAAAAAYYY cheaper to retain customers than attract new ones.
Steve

Steve

Being rich has nothing to do with wealth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]