BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

importance of human relations in marketing?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john rosasimportance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 3:35:52 pm

hey guys, I have a marketing related question, what do you guys think is the importance of human relations in marketing?

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:45:12 pm

please clarify your question. This sounds like a test question.

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahonRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:38:48 pm

Not very important. Marketing is typically creating emotion around a product to make it more accessible or digestible. Makeup for example is not selling a jar of colored paste, its selling a whole new, sexier you.

The web has moved to more people marketing, you are the brand. This works only if you are a compelling brand.

The other thing is networking, making personal connections, those are always better in person. A phone call is better than email, in person is better than a phone call.

Anyway to answer your question, its not very important, if done correctly marketing is not about the sales person selling themseleves but getting the buyer to think about themselves and how the solution is going to make them happier. That can be done with no human interaction.

Franklin McMahon

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 1:10:45 am

It's not important... unless you are marketing towards humans. ;-)

But seriously, the broadness of your question makes it tough to give an answer that's not debatable. If you are talking about human relations in the terms of market research and customer motivational theory, it can be extremely important.

If you are talking about developing the "soft skills" of your sales team, it can also be important - but I think the level and importance varies as much as customers vary. Some companies aren't selling a product as much as they are selling a "customer experience". (Companies like Sportclips or Nordstrom come to mind.)

Can you target your question to a specific area of human relations (or of marketing) so we have some context?

Return to posts index

Chris BlairRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:15:58 am

I agree the question is pretty broad and vague. But I have to disagree that human relations insn't important in marketing. It doesn't do much good to create "emotion" about a product or service or sell the idea of a unique "customer experience" if the customers experience with the product or service doesn't live up to the hype.

We tell our clients all the time, our advertising and marketing can persuade people to call, come-in, or go to your website, but by itself it cannot get them to buy.

Virtually every customer will eventually interact with a human being in the process of buying something. If that experience doesn't match the expectations created by the marketing and advertising, they probably won't buy, and if they Do happen to buy, they're probably going to feel like the product doesn't live up to the hype.

Even if you're buying something online this holds true. B&H Photo is a great example. In my experience they have the most incredible online site on the planet. You order something, within 10 minutes there's an email confirmation of your order. Within 24 hours your product usually ships. Often, a customer service person follows up to see if you were happy with your order.

But IF by chance you have a problem with an order (which is rare), you end up talking to a human. And the quality of their service is just as good at that stage as the online experience is. If it weren't, my opinion about B&H certainly wouldn't be so glowing. Other online sites pale in comparison. Some I've used don't even post a phone number you can call for customer service. You have to email for it. Now that sucks...and I don't use those guys anymore because of it. That's human relations.

So within the broad terms of the original question, I think human relations are pretty darn important in successful marketing.

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:44:24 pm

From my Website...

Channel Integration

We all know what brand, branding and brand strategy are. At
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, we believe a company’s
brand is built on the customer experience. Aside from the actual use
of a product or service, the customer experience is created via
“touch points,” or delivery channels (Internet, face-to-face, phone,
direct marketing, etc.). When a customer has a great experience
with a company’s delivery channel, that great experience is
absorbed into the customer’s brand loyalty psyche – the ultimately
desired effect of branding.

But delivery channels need to be integrated. Most customers use
more than one: paying bills via the Internet . . . receiving rebates in
the mail after making an in-store purchase . . . finding a local dealer
or product information via the Internet . . . or checking a catalog
order status via the phone. Before, during and after the purchase,
each customer experience associated with each delivery channel
needs to create the best possible effect on the customer’s brand
loyalty psyche. And when you consistently deliver great experiences
with every delivery channel, you get customer intimacy. We believe
this is what channel integration is all about.

Bennett Marketing & Media Production specializes in the design of
“customer experience focused” marketing campaigns and media for
delivery channels.

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:12:46 pm

It's what marketing is.
If ya don't make people like you, ya don't eat.

Return to posts index

Joe RugbyRe: importance of human relations in marketing?
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 7:31:24 pm

"What do you guys think is the importance of human relations in marketing?"

If I'm marketing dog food I'd say, pretty important.

Wait?? Are there other markets that don't require a human to make a purchase?

Thanks for taking me back to the fond memory of my freshman year in college; what is the sound of 1 hand clapping? If a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it make any noise?

As for my somewhat flippant answer, I think your question may be a bit vague.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved