BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Getting Video Assets From Clients

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil ReedGetting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 10, 2008 at 5:18:41 pm

The studio where I work is trying to come up with a standard Asset Request Form that we can send to clients to make sure they know how to send us video assets in order to get the type of files we can work with. I am wondering if anyone here uses something like this. I know from my experience, the client is just going to give you whatever they have and you have to just work with it.

thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:51:20 pm

The most detailed I've ever gotten with drop and goes is "yeah, it's ok to leave it att he door if I'm not in."
I have never had a real client ask what elements were appropriate but I have had a few grinders show up babblin about a youtube file or something like that.
I have found pretending like you thought they were kidding to be a fun response.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:35:49 pm

I would just be happy if my clients could keep nomenclature straight.
I can't tell you how many times I have clients talking about CD's when they mean DVDs, DVDs when they mean CDs, film when they mean tape, cameras when they mean decks....

"Can you send someone over? We can't get the projector to play our film"
Is that a video projector, or a film projector?"
"We're watching a film"
"So it's a movie projector?"
"Yes, and our boss thinks it's hooked up to the VCR wrong"

"Hey, this CD doesn't play in my TV"
"Its not a CD, it's a DVD"
"Well that won't work, my computer isn't hooked up to the TV, I don't even think you can DO that..."

"This DVD doesn't play on my computer"
"Do you have a DVD drive in your computer?"
"Sure, it plays CD's."

"I'm sending you a quicktime file on a CD-Rom, so you can see what the spot looks like"
"That spot wouldn't play on my DVD player"
"Did you try playing it on your computer?"
"No, my computer won't play DVDs".
(sigh)"That's why I sent you a CD-Rom with a Quicktime on it".

"Can you email me the CD or DVD?"
"Usually not, the file size is too large to work as an attachment, but I can send you a link by email; click on it, and it will let you download the file via automatic FTP. Then you can play it"
"Why are you making me do all that work, and besides, we aren't allowed to use the web here at work... can't you just attach it to an email?"
"it won't fit"
"Squeeze it down, I know you have a squeezer program on your computer"
"But that will look pretty bad, even if it works..."
"Do it!"
"Yeah, that spot's awful, we don't want to use it."
"Really? Why?"
"It's all pixelated and jerky-looking, especially when we play it full-screen. You guys were supposed to be professionals, this looks like poo, I'm having my nephew re-do it on his computer".
"but you..."

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:50:48 pm

(prints and places next to monitor)

Return to posts index

Vickie SceifersRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Oct 3, 2008 at 10:08:50 pm

I have a client right now that wants me to videotape his course so he can put 2 hrs in 1 hr increments, into a podcast (to view his course-yes, view)(vidcast, perhaps; no, he said podcast).

(Couple months ago he wanted to market his dental courses thru a 10 minute video on Youtube.)

Usually I can catch him before he gets too far in the wrong direction.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:24:46 pm

Keep it simple. I have found that the more information you pack into a document, the less likely it will be followed.

If clients are providing video, give them the minimum amount of detail, such as:

Video must be of DVD quality. Acceptable formats include:

DV tape
DVCAM tape
Authored DVD

Once you get into allowing DVD or QT/AVI files, you are bound to get any number of formats.

Let them call you and say "can I send you a Quicktime movie?"

As we know, "Quicktime movie" or "AVI" can mean anything from Cinepak to H.264 - always better to get into details on a case by case basis.

We get a lot of video made by others on their iMac or using Windows Movie Maker. Even these easy to use programs have too many options for exporting video.

Also, if you are using an intern or entry-level person for ingest of outside material, make sure they know what is acceptable, otherwise you could end up with a DV file transcoded from inferior original quality video (flv, digicam etc).

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: Getting Video Assets From Clients
by on Sep 12, 2008 at 4:25:01 am

Hi Phil,

My experience tells me that your Form won't help much. Graphic artist are simply either knowledgeable or not knowledgeable when it comes to graphic file types.

For instance, when I request a logo as an EPS, RBG, saved as outlines file from a professional, knowledgeable graphic artist, I almost always get it.

When I request the same thing from a newbie or graphic artist that has no business being a graphic artist, I usually get rasterized bitmaps saved as EPS, or worse, "right click and save" GIF files from their Websites.

Good luck,

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

Bob Coleor even static graphics
by on Sep 13, 2008 at 3:28:59 pm

Or, try explaining to a print-oriented person that "dpi" by itself doesn't matter in video-land. It can be like talking to a brick wall.

A tastefully-dressed, esthetically sensitive brick wall, of course.

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: or even static graphics
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 2:30:00 pm

Like when you explain a hundred of times to the designer:

-Send me your photo with at least 1000 pixels wide.

-Mmm... do you mean 300 dpi?

-It is not about the resolution, it´s about the size. Check the image size in Photoshop. 1000 pixels wide or more will be OK.

-Do you mean 300 dpi?

-Just send me what you have.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: or even static graphics
by on Sep 15, 2008 at 4:51:53 pm

I usually say, "the bigger the better" - while not always true, you run the risk of getting 200x200 GIF files.

I occasionally see an obvious web-gif printed in a newspaper article - usually my local rag in CT.

While we are on the subject, clients sometimes don't know the difference between a megabyte or gigabyte, and may ask "I burned the image to a CD because it was too big for a floppy disk (ok, that's a dated one).

We once had an employee complain that he couldn't fit a 200megabyte file on a floppy disk. I never figured out what the problem was!

Another common one is "I tried to e-mail someone the DVD but it was taking forever."

And finally "I tried to copy the DVD you sent me but I couldn't open it in Windows Movie Maker." They sometimes forget they are paying someone to provide them with copies as needed.

Oh well, this is why we experts are hired to do work for others.

We cannot expect our clients to have the technical knowledge that we have, just like they do not expect us to have the marketing or product development skills that they have (although we may)

Good thread.

Return to posts index

Phil ReedRe: or even static graphics
by on Sep 16, 2008 at 4:37:43 pm

Thanks for all the responses. This was very helpful, and I would tend to agree that you just got to get what you can and it's your job to take care of the rest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved