BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Airtime on a cable network

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jose Zeinc
Airtime on a cable network
on Sep 6, 2008 at 10:26:55 pm

Hello everyone, im working on sports reality right now im looking for info about posibilities of airtime on a cable network i tryied googling around but got lost in the k hole, so here is my question.

What are the airtime rates for a weekly show

What are the posibilities in teaming up with this network and trying to work a joint venture.

And finally what are the ballpark buying prices for a sports reality filmed in various places of the world

JOSE ZEINC
DIRECTOR

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Airtime on a cable network
on Sep 6, 2008 at 11:24:51 pm

There have been multiple threads on this forum about this very topic so I would suggest you go through and research those.

[Jose Zeinc] "What are the airtime rates for a weekly show "

There is no standard. Each network has their own rates. It's a very wide range of numbers.

[Jose Zeinc] "What are the posibilities in teaming up with this network and trying to work a joint venture. "

Zil to nada, especially if you've never produced a series before.

[Jose Zeinc] "And finally what are the ballpark buying prices for a sports reality filmed in various places of the world "

Again, there is no standard, each network has their own rates. Figure $10,000 to $200,000 per episode.

However, if you have zero experience with a television series, most likely nobody will want to talk to you. You will need to team up with an experience production company.

Search this forum for more information.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 7, 2008 at 1:14:30 am

You'll find it's about 900 bucks per market.
I am having to pick and choose which market(s) based on my budget but with every one, I am able to aquire more sponsorships.

Return to posts index

Jose Zeinc
on Sep 7, 2008 at 4:15:26 am

I get your drift, but you make it sound like it's a no way out situation, and what all comes down to it is business, so what im trying to find out here is an alternative way of going at it, cause i know the sizzle reel and coverage protocol, but i want to find an option where i could be the owner of my project and also syndicate in any part of the world so i wont fall short on production costs, and regarding the experience i am broadcast and advertising director with a team of fully experienced producers and post producers that complement and work as a sole unit, so let me now is there an option here because this project is a bit expensive, and we dont want to fall down with it

JOSE ZEINC
DIRECTOR
JЯZ TELEVISION|VIDEO|FILM

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 7, 2008 at 12:31:26 pm

[Jose Zeinc] "but i want to find an option where i could be the owner of my project and also syndicate in any part of the world so i wont fall short on production costs, and regarding the experience i am broadcast and advertising director with a team of fully experienced producers and post producers that complement and work as a sole unit, "

That will be tough unless you sell all your own sponsorship.

As for the experience, how many television series have you produced prior to this one. I've got almost 20 years experience in broadcast with credits that include Emmy, Peabody, Telly and Aurora awards. We've delivered over 100 HD broadcast episodes in just the past three years alone.

But I've never produced a regular broadcast series on our own. So right now we're developing two original series, but I've partnered with a team that has 13 years experience doing nothing but producing episodic television. I've discussed this in a previous thread that the budgeting and production planning alone was worth their help. Our budgets are over 300 line items long.

Plus pretty much all the U.S. networks won't discuss a series with an un-proven production team unless you're bringing something major to the table like a major media star or some exclusive item they can't get any other way.

I'm speaking from experience on this so that's what I know. If all you want to do is purchase air time like an infomercial, all you have to do is come up with the money and they'll give you an available infomercial slot. Prices vary widely among the cable networks.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 7, 2008 at 1:50:45 pm

Everything Walter has sais has been absolutly spot on in the past.
What is changing IS the indie producer and nwo networks are beginning to count on dudes like us. It GREATLY reduces their investments and more and more you are seeing networks who have always held theirproduction in tight grips, allowing finished shows to come from outside sources at pennies on the dollar. While they still play hard to get, I am here to tell you they want you and just haven't told you yet.
Don't let 50 year old habbits detour you. You have an admitlingly uphill battle ahead of you but it's no more uphill than getting that first low paying gig in the video bidness way back when.
I can tell you I have never sold a successful series. That in no way changes the fact that I'm going to.

Return to posts index

Jose Zeinc
on Sep 7, 2008 at 2:07:05 pm

Thats sound great, and thats the focus that im having i know from a experienced pov that is true networks need to optimize there budgets and try to go with this flow of new indie producers in the market to establish new forms of entertaiment, and that makes change and in the tv and media market change is the tendency, you have web, you have mobile, you tv and you have others mediums that are being developed right as we now it

JOSE ZEINC
DIRECTOR

Return to posts index

Jose Zeinc
on Sep 7, 2008 at 2:02:29 pm

Well i got your point, and thanks for the tip on regarding breaking in the industry

JOSE ZEINC
DIRECTOR

Return to posts index

mike allison
on Sep 8, 2008 at 4:17:29 pm

From the above information i got an idea that it is totally related to magazine.It is a Cow magazine.It is very famous.Lot of people are describing that word in a different way.

============================================

mike5

Foreclosure Homes

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 9, 2008 at 1:41:07 am

Hi Jose -
this is the way it works. You have no connections, you have no money. You want to get your show on TV. This is how it's done.

You find SPONSORS who will help put your show on TV. You are doing a sports show, you find SPORTS SPONSORS (like manufacturers of sporting equipment that relates to your show), and you feature this in your show. There is a company here in Florida that does a Yahat show that features "cool things that you can add to your boat" - and the companies that make these products PAY FOR THE AD TIME.

That's how you do it. No matter how wonderful your show is, a cable station will not pick it up, unless you have either 1) connections, or 2) sponsors to pay for the air time.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]