BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzo
rates
on Sep 6, 2008 at 12:18:57 pm

i'm applying for a freelance job for an upcoming reality tv show with a good production company. what is the going rates for a video editor that has 10 years experience. i use fcp and after effects. and what about if i use all my gear what should that rate be?

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: rates
on Sep 6, 2008 at 2:58:43 pm

the going rate ranges from free to 300 bucks an hour. Only you know what it is you need to do a job and make a profit without chasing the client away.
As a national average (subject to change market to market) you will find the average freelance rate is 50 bucks an hour and the average rate for a decient edit suite is 175 an hour. If your suite is not an edit suite but a computer in a basement, just stick with that 50 bucks an hour as a way to talk em into allowing you to stay home and edit in your underwear as opposed to puttin on the dockers and doing it at their place.

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 7, 2008 at 8:13:27 pm

the company that is doing the show pay there editors about 1,500 per week as a flat rate. should i tell them that includes about 50 hours, i think people get paid less if your working on a long term show, is that right? i do charge 50 per hour on commercial and corporate is the price the same for television? what should i be asking for? and i do have a edit suite in the basement, it's a full suite same as most bigger production companies in the city. I charge 175 per hour for me and my suite. does the price change if i'm going to be editing a tv show compared to the commercials that i have been doing?

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Sep 8, 2008 at 4:09:12 am

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "the company that is doing the show pay there editors about 1,500 per week"

Um, there's your answer. Your $50/hr rate is 33% higher than what they pay. Thats a pretty big gap.

So you can -

A. Explain your rate and try to find some middle ground (many on this forum often argue against lowering your rates).

B. Take the pay cut - chalk it up to changing fields (from corporate and commercial to reality TV), if that's the case.

C. Respectfully pass.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 8, 2008 at 11:38:24 am

at 1500/wk you have to look at what you are making right now.
I'd respectfully pass as that would simply put me in the red. I'd offer the two days work that buys at their place and let them respectfully pass.
You will find no more diplomatic way to pass on a lo/no gig than for them to not be able to afford you.

You are right though, if you sign for for a series, it does pay less than a one day gig but it usually pays about 750 per day for series work. A real series would not dare pay lower than that becaise knowong they get what they pay for, they simply need more than that.

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 8, 2008 at 5:18:45 pm

I know my studio rates are $175 per hour, but it's not everyday. at the moment i only have one client the brought me about 16k worth of work this year. do i take the series or pass it up? what is the going rate for editors on a series working at there place using there equipment? i can charge extra in it's in my studio but how much extra? i spoke to another editor there and i said i would ask for about 600 per day for working on the show he said no way they will never pay that much. what do i do? my clients bring me work but its last min stuff all the time, do i take a more stable gig and do my clients ant night? this is a very hard decision for me. or do i tell my clients about i might be booked on a show for a long time and tell them that they need to give me more time with there project. but everything has been last min for about 4 years i can never get a schedual from them they just say next week sometime you will start my job. if i'm in another editing house and my clients need my during the day what do i do? this is very hard.
just thinking if i take freelance at another editing house i might meet other contractors in the business and that might give me more work at my studio, even if they are offering me a lower rate for the steady work. i want to try and plan a family soon and just need some steady cash. what kind of rate should i charge the studio and do i keep my existing clients? please help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2008 at 12:17:10 am

$1500 a week is Assistant Editor rates here in LA...except for very low end basic cable shows. The going rate for editors out here also averages about $50/hour...even on long term gigs. I, like Grinner, would respectfully pass.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:18:29 pm

I'd agree, 1500/wk is pretty low unless you are working North Dakota, and are getting fully bennie's...

moody glasgow
editing.compositing.design
My Demo Reel

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:59:47 am

i know it's low but i live in toronto canada , don't know if people would pay $750 per day for a reality show. what do you suggest that i try to work out, how should i approach the meeting to try and get as much money as possible? i don't have much experience in cutting shows but have tones of experience cutting tv spots. i work with fcp and after effects. what would be a good rate to charge with my gear and without my gear? is there anything that i should be aware of going into the meeting. how should i approach this to try and get as much as possible. i think that they want to flat me out for the week and dont know how long the contract would be yet. is it right to say so much money would give you so many hours, and over 50 hour's is it common to charge overtime rate and if so how much, also is it common to charge more money for working on the weekends....please help

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Sep 11, 2008 at 6:37:38 am

[johnsabbath d'urzo] "don't know if people would pay $750 per day for a reality show"

According to your earlier post, they won't. There's no negotiating trick that's going to close the gap between what you want and what you say the show pays.

So, go into the meeting - when money comes up, be honest about what you expect to be paid.

If it's very important to you to move into reality from "tv spots", then take the pay cut.

But honestly, I don't see how a producer would pay top dollar for a reality editor with "not much" experience cutting shows. Be aware of how you will handle that topic in your meeting.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 11, 2008 at 11:42:14 am

it's no really important to cut show instead of tv spot, i really like the ad world, the only reason that i want to cut the show is because the work is steady, and i don't have to chase for the money. do i charge over time for the show, what are some good pointers for negotiations during the meeting? I want 60 per hour
i think they might pay 30 per hour .

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:49:16 pm

First off, just remember, once you accept that rate, that is what you will always get paid from this company.

As for pointers, depending on your After Effects skills and reel, explain that no only are you getting an editor, you are getting a fx artist. Also, depending on your experience, put on the table say your coloring skills and sell them on your skills. Just make sure you can deliver because if they accept your rate, you will be under a microscope.

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:59:53 pm

what s is a good rate to get for me?

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:03:25 pm

I think $50/hour on their gear, $100-150 on yours. Anything else is low with your experience.

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzo
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:54:43 pm

i know it would be low but it is a steady pay do i take it if its low for know and it might open new doors.

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Sep 11, 2008 at 3:11:03 pm

Honestly, it's just something you will have to decide on. Most of us take jobs for whatever reason for lower pay.

In your meeting, just think before you agree and leave yourself as many options as posible. Try to set up sort of 'ground rules'. Like, 'if I do this, I expect this'. That way, if the parameters change, you have grounds to re-negotiate.

Unfortunately, you will never know if it is the right decision unless you take the job. If you turn it down, you will always wonder. As far as money, only you know if this meets your needs. The one point I have read into your post is, you would turn this work down on grounds that you MAY get other work in the future. What if you don't get the other work? Then you would have wished you took this job. What if you turned the job down, and a job paying twice the rate came along, you would be glad you turned it down.

So many what ifs!

Return to posts index

Paul Del Vecchio
on Sep 14, 2008 at 4:44:18 am

Many of you threw out some rates and I'm wondering, are these rates for video/television production or film? I've read interviews with some film editors who say you can make between $25-$100 per hour but I've never heard/read someone making more than $100/hr on a film. Does feature film work typically pay less than commercial/video production work? Obviously, budget is a variable when it comes to films, so let's cover both bigger budget films ($1million or more) and lower budget film, say $100K-$500K.

Thanks!

Paul Del Vecchio - Director
http://www.triple-e-productions.net

Return to posts index

Paul Del Vecchio
on Sep 16, 2008 at 10:58:16 am

Beautiful! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:01:36 am

don't adhere to those rates ujnless ya have to.
man, they are bottom of the barrel.

Return to posts index

Paul Del Vecchio
on Oct 23, 2008 at 4:03:18 pm

Oh I know, Grin. =) I was just looking for something in the film biz. Knowing the absolute minimum helps a bit.

Grin, I saw some pics of your setup. What Avid is that, if you don't mind me asking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]