BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Copyright of edited work

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Fuchs
Copyright of edited work
on Sep 4, 2008 at 8:59:38 pm

As an editor, is there any situation in which I hold copyright rights to any of my work? Generally the footage is shot by the client, and I understand they would own the copyright to their footage, but how about the actual edited video and DVD? Can the client make copies of the work without my consent? Any clarification on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
FoxTale Edit

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Copyright of edited work
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:10:01 pm

[Stephen Fuchs] "As an editor, is there any situation in which I hold copyright rights to any of my work? Generally the footage is shot by the client, and I understand they would own the copyright to their footage, but how about the actual edited video and DVD? Can the client make copies of the work without my consent? Any clarification on this subject would be appreciated. "

You don't own any copyright unless you conceived and executed the entire project. The editor is only offering a service. Client retains all rights to the project and in fact, you must receive permission from the client to use that project for anything, including demo reels.

So the client owns the project, not you.

To give you a perfect example, I have created about 36 original animations for "Good Eats" on the Food Network. I sign a document each year that clearly states Food Network owns those animations and the copyright on all of those animations.

It's the same with any project we edit here. The only projects for which I own the copyright are my original projects.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 5, 2008 at 7:59:32 pm

That shouldn't necessarily preclude you from getting something in writing from the client that says you have the right to show what you did in your portfolio. If you pitch it in the right words, I think most clients will not have too big a problem giving you some kind of deal memo for that kind of limited use. That could perhaps get you off the hook while still protecting their copyrights, when you explain you would never sell or distribute the entire thing, just a specific snippett to show your technique in action. it might also specify this is not for You Tube but only for your personal web site and portfolio demo disk.

What would it hurt to ask?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 5, 2008 at 8:09:47 pm

Do what Mark says--call the client(s) and ask permission.

We just finished a video where it wasn't stipulated beforehand that we could use it for demo purposes, so I called the client, told them we loved working with them and hope to again in the future, and requested permission to add portions/all of the video to our reel. They said take it all and show it anyone we want!

Can't hurt to ask. The worst they'll say is no.

Michael.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Sep 7, 2008 at 1:52:26 pm

I have found all clients like to be complimented.
I see it as an opportunity to do so.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]