BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Silenced Voice

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Silenced Voice
on Sep 2, 2008 at 4:34:17 pm

As you may have heard, we have lost the "king" of voices, Don LaFontaine. Don died in LA late yesterday of a pneumothorax/collapsed lung.

Some of you (especially my fellow commercial producers), may have worked with Don... I had the pleasure of knowing him, and working with him on occasion (when our clients could afford him) and always found him to be so gracious, helpful, and unbeliveably talented.

I last heard from Don a couple of weeks ago, a very long email detailing some rather serious heath issues that he had been struggling with... but he was upbeat and thought to be on the mend.

I had yet to reply to his email. Shame on me.

Life is short... get out and live it....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Silenced Voice
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:03:06 pm

[Todd Terry] "I had yet to reply to his email. Shame on me. Life is short... get out and live it...."

Yes, indeed it is. One of my sons, Ronnie, died yesterday in a car accident. His son, Caleb, also died in the accident with him. But I was very proud of the man he had become and he was a great Dad to his children.

Life is short, even for those of us who get the longer rides. Love those you are with and let them know their place in your life.

The day before he died, he had preached in our church in the morning and I was so proud of him. He knew it and when it was over, he walked up behind me and rubbed my shoulders for a bit and leaned in and told me, "I love you, Dad." I told him that I was proud of him. They were to be my last words to him.

Don't sweat the small stuff but don't put off the important stuff.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:08:03 pm

Oh God, Ron.... absoutely nothing to say in such a moment, other than deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Your last exchange with him will be a priceless memory.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:34:31 pm

[Todd Terry] "Your last exchange with him will be a priceless memory."

Thank you, Todd. It already is.

My thoughts are also with the family of Don LaFontaine, as I know that they will sorely miss him. I loved his voice and thought that he was the finest voice in commercials. I still remember the first time I saw the Geico commercial that had him in it, the second I heard that voice I erupted in laughter. That was a case of being so over the top that it could not have been done any more perfectly. They should have killed that series of commercials right there. Nothing else they have done since has been even close. Like Bob Newhart, they should have known when to quit and gone out on top.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Sep 2, 2008 at 5:48:45 pm

It is surreal, yet somehow appropriate to use this place to communicate something so deeply, deeply personal.

Ron & Kathlyn,
You have my deepest and most sincere sympathies. I can only imagine your pain and hope that it eases as time goes by.

Your friend,
Nick

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 2, 2008 at 6:30:40 pm

Ron and Kathlyn, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Wow, life is definitely too short.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:46:15 pm

My sympathies to you and the family, Ron, for a sorrow I cannot begin to fathom. We've talked before of fathers and sons, and it sounds like (and I hope) you parted on the best of terms; spoken or unspoken, that is something to be deeply cherished. I know he'll still be with you in all you think and do in this world, until you mee again in the next. My prayers to you and the family today.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:58:24 pm

[Nick Griffin] "It is surreal, yet somehow appropriate to use this place..."

It's so appropriate simply because, unlike most industry gathering spots and on-line lists in anonymous cyberspace, the COW is not a forum... it's a family.

I know Ron and Kathlyn know this, and hope they feel free to call on "the family" as needed... whether to swap a smile, share a memory, wipe a tear, or find a shoulder to lean on.

That's what family does.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 2, 2008 at 10:25:31 pm

Ron

I am so terribly sorry to hear about the loss of Ronnie and Caleb. I have a son and I can't even imagine what you and your family are going thru. I wish I knew something to say but all I can offer is my condolences to you, Kathlyn and the rest of your family.

Herb Sevush

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Sep 2, 2008 at 11:25:19 pm

My condolences also go out to you Ron. It has been a strange month here as well. One of my best clients lost the 19 year old child of her daughter in a rafting accident, another good friend lost a 7 year old niece to a drowning accident, and another choreographer I know locally had her healthy 21 year old daughter die in her sleep last week! Although very tragic, how awesome that the last words with your son were so special and meaningful.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 2, 2008 at 11:55:29 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Ron. May you all feel the comfort and peace that only God can bring.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Sep 3, 2008 at 12:49:24 am

Ron and Kathlyn,
As I put my youngest daughter on the bus for her first day of kindergarten this morning, I was reflecting on how short that part of our lives that we get to spend with our children really is.

You two were on my mind a lot this weekend. I was in Cupertino a couple of weeks ago and even though the COW HQ is a few hours south of there, I was regretting not calling while I was at least in the same state. Please know that Amanda's and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 3, 2008 at 1:45:36 am

[Ron Lindeboom] ""I love you, Dad.""

Ron and others,

Please accept mine and Jackie's deepest condolences on the passing of your son and grandson.

On September 15, 1990, my son left a shoot we were on the go to an outdoor concert. The last thing he said was "I love you, Dad". At the L.A. Guns concert that evening, a storm blew in and drowned them out. My son never made it to his car and they found him in a ditch with running water. The cops thought he was a drug overdose but he had burns on his legs. We figured out later that he had been hit by lightning. Living in a semi comatose state for 5 years, he passed away at 27 years old from phnemonia.

The pain never lessens, even after 13 years. But, the one positive thing in all of this was that we had the tightest bond that a father and son can have. His last words ring in my ears often.

Regardless of what the circumstances were on Monday, Ron, years from now, those four words will ring loud and clear and they will work hard to overcome the seemingly unbearable pain and sorrow.

It made me realize that we fight and argue with our loved ones over nothing. It might seem like something at the time, but it's still nothing.

In the 22 years we had together before the accident, he said a lot of things. But those final words make me proud of the man he was.

I wish I could be there to give you both a hug. You have my prayers. God Bless You

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 3, 2008 at 2:32:32 am

Ron
So sorry for your loss.
Loss is the part of life we wish we could avoid, but it is felt because of the strong love we have for those we miss. To have loved or nurtured is a blessing.

These very old lyrics give me comfort in such times as these:

Though the days are long,
Twilight sings a song,
Of the happiness that used to be;
Soon my eyes will close,
Soon I'll find repose,
And in dreams you're always near to me.

I'll see you in my dreams,
Hold you in my dreams;,
Someone took you out of my arms,
Still I feel the thrill of your charms!,

Lips that once were mine,
Tender eyes that shine,
They will light my way tonight,
I'll see you in my dreams!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:34:52 am

I sit here stunned Ron. You and your family will be in our prayers this week.

Mick

Return to posts index

Franklin McMahon
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:02:37 pm

I just heard the news and wanted to express my deepest sympathies for your loss. I don't know what to say except that my prayers are with you.

This loss is sad because you are indeed an architect of building families, but I'll remind you that your family is larger, extending worldwide, and has more love in it then you'll probably ever know. And we're all here for you.

Franklin

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:26:18 pm

Dear Ron and Kathlyn,

Our thoughts are with you and your family on this day. As Franklin mentioned, your COW family is starting to gather around you to help shoulder the burden of your loss.

With deepest sympathies,

Don and Sue Greening

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:11:50 pm

I wish to send my deepest sympathies to you at this time. There is just nothing I can say about this shocking loss to you. We are all behind you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 3, 2008 at 9:10:40 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "One of my sons, Ronnie, died yesterday in a car accident. His son, Caleb, also died in the accident with him."

I cannot imagine losing a son and a grandson in one instant...it would be devastating to lose either individually.

I'm not sure why we as humans can't seem to savor a journey until it's a memory...wisdom seems to come so late to most of us...

If you have to have a last exchange with a child though...I'd hope for one like yours.

I haven't any really useful words. That sort of wisdom hasn't come to me yet.

I'm so sorry.

Strength to you and your family.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

Robert Sharp
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:02:14 pm

Ron,

My deepest sympathies during this difficult time. The entire Sharp family will be thinking of you.

Robert Sharp
Digieffects

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 4, 2008 at 2:50:18 am

Ron and Kathlyn;

Honestly sad. I am deeply saddened for you.

Yet, a poignant moment like the one you had with your son is priceless...and are too few.

Joy that you could have it. Sad for your loss.

Sympathies, and condolences,

Rich Rubasch
Longtime Forum Pal

Return to posts index

Jay Curtis
on Sep 4, 2008 at 9:05:51 pm

Ron & Kathlyn,
Our deepest condolences for the loss of your son and grandson. Most of us can't begin to imagine what your family is going through right now.

I know you don't grieve the way the world grieves, because you hold tight to hope you have to see them both again. On this earth we grieve only because it's so hard to wait for that next meeting.

Please know that our hearts and prayers are with your family in the days and weeks to come.

Jay Curtis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]