BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

YouTube Video Posting Question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.YouTube Video Posting Question
by on Aug 27, 2008 at 12:18:01 pm

I uploaded an interview that my production company did with the Obama Girl back in April to YouTube. During the 8 minute interview, we showed some of the "Crush on Obama" video and we had it playing on a screen during the interview. We also put up a lower third displaying the website while the video was playing. So in total, you could only see, not hear, the video for a total of 3 1/2 minutes of the 8 minutes.

I emailed the owner of the company to let him know what I was doing and gave him the link. In a matter of minutes I received an email from YouTube stating that "Next New Networks has claimed some or all visual content in your video...Your video is still live because Next New Networks has authorized the use of this content on YouTube. As long as Next New Networks has a claim on your video, they will receive public statistics about your video, such as number of views."

I understand that yes I did use their stuff during the interview.

My question is how do I do it in the future where I can claim it soley as ours? I noticed in their video that they have pics of Obama. Did they have to pay for those pics in order to use them and claim as theirs?

What's the process?

Return to posts index

bill dewaldRe: YouTube Video Posting Question
by on Aug 27, 2008 at 11:35:49 pm

What's the big deal? As I read the comment from youtube, all that they are getting is the metrics on your video which are available publicly.

And, you are using their footage, which they have authorized. I don't see the problem.

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.Re: YouTube Video Posting Question
by on Aug 28, 2008 at 11:55:43 am

I never said I had a problem. I want to learn from this and gain insight into how I can claim the next one as our own.

I'm assuming they had to purchase some kind of rights to show the Obama pics in their video. Is that right or wrong?

Return to posts index

Eric SuschRe: YouTube Video Posting Question
by on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:36:29 pm

Are you saying that you aren't receiving stats for the video anymore and the stats are only going to Next New Networks? Have you lost any type of control over the video? For example, can you delete it or update the tags etc. or did YouTube transfer that control to NNN as well? I'm just curious what YouTube is doing. I like to keep abreast of these things.

The only way to be 100% original is to not have anything made by someone else in the video. That said it sounds like what you are doing may be "fair use" given that it's an interview situation. (It's hard to make a judgment though without seeing the video. Do you have a link?)

Keep in mind that fair use is a legal term and only means something if you go to court. Next New Networks and YouTube can complain about and/or take action against anything and everything they feel like. This can sometimes be quite arbitrary. Welcome to the wild west of internet video.

Eric Susch

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Come and see our presentation at the
New Media Expo in Las Vegas.

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.Re: YouTube Video Posting Question
by on Sep 2, 2008 at 9:04:56 pm

Here's the link

I am pretty new to downloading to youtube so I don't know what you mean by being able to update tags, etc...

The only thing I am bale to see is the amount of viewers. It does not give me any other options.

BTW - Nice website - I like the Tom Green clip :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved