BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How does one...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julie hill
How does one...
on Aug 13, 2008 at 4:35:26 am

...break into the broadcast world as an editor? I own my own production company (yes... we do mainly high-end weddings... proud of it... one of the best in the world and are very successful: http://www.elysiumblog.com) and am SOOO inspired by the pieces created for the Olympics. I'm really not that into sports but always find those teasers, highlight reels, and athlete features so captivating. (here are some examples... can't find any from these games but you get the idea:

And... I know I would seriously ROCK at something like that. Anything that involves music and emotion... I'm all in (heck that's what I do every day!). So I've always had huge goals for myself and have never failed. (ok... so I'm ambitious) I am also a work-aholic and will do whatever it takes to make things happen... even if I have to switch from FCP to AVID. (I hope not though!) So my new dream is to be an editor for the 2012 games in London - then go back to my regular day job (cuz I love what I do). Yep a lofty goal. So where do I start?

Keep in mind I have NEVER been in or around the broadcast world. Taught myself FCP and started my business just cuz I knew I could do it. I heard there's some fancy name for a clothespin on film sets... that's the extent of my broadcast knowledge LOL!

Thanks for any advice! (And no... I don't expect it to be easy - I'm also a realist)

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: How does one...
on Aug 13, 2008 at 8:37:44 am

[julie hill] "fancy name for a clothespin"

In professional budgets, there are line items.

On one of the more used budget packages, there was a line "C-47". The item on line C-47 was a small wooden clamp that some used for laundry.

If you want in for the next Olympics, get to Burbank, the NBC building on Alameda (that is soon moving to Universal Studios) and find out who produces the Olympics.

Before you go, edit a 90 - 120 second piece using HD footage from this years programming. Give them something that they can't say no to. Keep it short and sweet. Offer to produce something for them. Insist that you need to be on the team. Want in on the Olympics, do a Gold Medal job.

Buy them lunch.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

julie hill
on Aug 18, 2008 at 1:36:36 am

AWESOME IDEA!! I love it!!! thanks for the advice! I'm even contemplating going to London next week (for other reasons) but I would film all around the city (which I know well) w/my EX1 and edit a trailer, etc. with that footage too.

Return to posts index

Trey Gregory
on Aug 13, 2008 at 8:08:00 pm

Getting a foot in the door now is a good way to start, you could always intern as a editor's assistant at a local news station to get your broadcast experience level up to scratch.

It's always easier to get noticed by the network if you have connections at an affiliate. In my experience, a gig like you are looking for is 90% about connections and about 5% what you can do. That last 5% is luck.

I've met a lot of people here in Atlanta who got their start in broadcasting when the Olympics were here in '97.

So I'd say, if you have any connections....try to use those first. If you don't...try to make some.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post
http://www.ecgprod.com

Return to posts index

Trey Gregory
on Aug 14, 2008 at 5:17:17 pm

Oops, Olympics were in '96.

Can you edit posts in this forum? I can't seem to find the link that will let me do it.

Trey Gregory
ECG Productions - Atlanta
HD Production and Post
http://www.ecgprod.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 14, 2008 at 5:49:08 pm

Use our test post forum and play with your posts there, as you can edit things but only for the first 30 minutes or until someone responds.

When you post, you can go inside any of your posts and if it falls within the first 30 minutes and no one has replied yet, you will find an "Edit Your Post" link visible inside your posts that will be located in the same gray box that has the "View Posts" "Add a Post" and "Search Posts" links.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Aug 15, 2008 at 7:31:27 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "you will find an "Edit Your Post" link "

Comes in very handy for those times that you accidently say horrible or stupid things. I use it all the time.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 15, 2008 at 2:13:34 am

[Trey Gregory] "90% about connections and about 5% what you can do. That last 5% is luck"

get some experience in a sports broadcast truck. They need people by the hundreds.

If I were hiring Olympics-type editors I would ask my colleagues in the big broadcast trucks that produce football games etc. for the names of some terrific, reliable, FAST, non-drug-abusing, fun-to-be-around editors. These folks have to edit under pressure, hour after hour. Some of them are pretty great. They don't even use FCP, as I understand -- something called "Elvis?"

good luck. nice to hear from someone with a dream that lights her fire.

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

julie hill
on Aug 18, 2008 at 1:39:43 am

Thx Bob... great advice! I'll let you know how it goes :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]