BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Non-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill DewaldNon-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA
by on Aug 8, 2008 at 6:11:10 pm

I'd love to hear opinions on this from the great business minds at the COW.

I don't personally have any experience with non-competes, but found the thread about them last month very interesting.

Cheers - Bill

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Non-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA
by on Aug 8, 2008 at 6:17:37 pm

About time. They're horrible anyway.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Non-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA
by on Aug 9, 2008 at 6:30:19 am

I agree. As it relates to our industry, I can't imagine being so paranoid and unsure of my own future as to require a non-compete of my employees, freelancers and sub-contracted studios.

Sometimes my studio is asked to sign a non-compete BEFORE signing an NDA, so you don't even know who the "client" is that they expect you to throw away.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Non-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA
by on Aug 9, 2008 at 12:41:36 pm

a non compete cost me about 60 grand my first year in business for myself. While the company I had been staffing for went under, one of the owners felt he still owned me. While he didnt, he did get a restraining order against my working in st louis and I had to fight it with my own money and miss bookings in the meantime.
I always looked at non-competes as an admission the employer won't do everything they can to keep good artists. I didnt even know I signed this one... came with like my voice mail instructions and stuff the first day I was there.
It'd be rediculas for me to ever have somone sign one of these so I see it as rediculas for somone to ever ask me to sign one again.
Much better for two parties to just be cool to each other, imo.
I'm glad CA is leading the way again.

Return to posts index

moody glasgowRe: Non-compete clauses ruled illegal in CA
by on Aug 12, 2008 at 7:21:41 pm

I had a prospective employer want me to sign a non-compete agreement, for the WHOLE WEST COAST!!! I told him that doesn't fly in our industry, so he responded by excluding California(where I'm from) in the agreement... That was a deal breaker for me...

I've found there are some people in this business, who really don't understand...

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved