BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

marketing yourself

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tel jabamarketing yourself
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 4:02:53 pm

hello guys

I have a small production/ post production company and planning to travel to the US next month and was thinking to use part of my time to do some marketing for myself as an editor and for my company to other production companies, but i am not sure how to do that or how to approach these companies. I have a list of production companies in NYC, what shall i do next? contact them and set an appointment to meet with them! what do i say? how do i make them interested? any tips ideas? suggestions?

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: marketing yourself
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 5:35:32 pm

There are thousands of very qualified editors everywhere looking for work right in there, proverbial, own backyards. So, as you travel about just meet people and say hello, have lucnh or a beer and make friends and connections, but I wouldn't think of it as marketing per se, and I woujld not treat it as such. If you by chance you make some friends and get some business because of those friendships, wonderful, it was time very well spent. Otherwise, it was also time well spent...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Jason RichardsRe: marketing yourself
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 10:47:30 pm

I would have to agree with David the best way to network is to be there friend. Take them out for dinner and just get to know them, really make that connection. I would not even bring up your services unless they asked. If you are only going to be in the area once you can still make that connection and check up with them through email about how the industry is (once again show you are their to be their friend) and sooner or later they might throw a job your way.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: marketing yourself
by on Aug 7, 2008 at 2:11:06 am

As long as you approch it as what you can do for them (not what they can do for you), they will listen.
Working from home now and having a low overhead, I now sometimes market myself to other post houses as a back up suite. I sell it in by telling therm not to turn anyone away and that if they havn't the man power, drive psace or time for a certain project, to consider me their overflow branch office. I bill it out low enough they can mark it up 50 percent for doing nothing and the biggest thing... not taking the risk of turning a clinet away... which can easily turn into a permanant thing.
Now, they are ALL apprehensive about sending their clients to my suite. They just send tapes and I do these projects unsupervised. I take no credit but bill hours I otherwise would not have billed.
It truely is a win/win.
This use to just never be done. It was looked at as canibalization. Times have changed.
Again, as long as you approach it with what you can do for them, the'll hear you out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved