BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Pixelation Issue

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc VillarinPixelation Issue
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 6:55:26 am

I have a client,whose complaining the quality of our a release material. He said that dvd video is pixelated and the quality is degraded. I already export the material to uncompress 8-bit, burned it using toast titanium. After burning it is still looks the same.

I need to make these material, into good quality.

The materials is:

4 x 3 Ntsc
Compression: 8-bit Uncompress
Pixel aspect ratio: 0.9 DV

Original material: DVCPro HD 720p60
I edited the materials an put a letter box, as request by the client

Look on the Bright Side...

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Pixelation Issue
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 2:32:11 pm

There is a good reason that Final Cut Studio includes both Compressor and DVDSP right in the box, but not Toast. Sure, Toast is easy, but if you want to be a professional and want to deliver professional quality to your clients, at the bare minimum, you're going to have to learn to use Compressor and DVDSP. Neither is difficult to learn, you just have put in the time.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Marc VillarinRe: Pixelation Issue
by on Aug 7, 2008 at 7:08:49 am

I did use toast as well, DVDSP and Compressor. I am not sure where it gone wrong but the quality is still pixelize. It may be the settings, I am not to sure. But in playing safe I did set in it defaults.

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: Pixelation Issue
by on Aug 10, 2008 at 10:37:29 am

Does the DVD video look pixelated to YOU when you preview it?

I have encountered a similar recent complaint from a not-too-tech-savvy corporate client - about my DVD video not displaying their logo sharply.

Happened that I managed to go down to their office to show them the exact same DVD video using my MacBook Pro - with everything looking sharp.

Turned out they were viewing the DVD video on a office Windows PC with a generic DVD software player and a generic computer monitor [which incidentally killed the colors, too].

FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @

At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.2

Return to posts index

Marc VillarinRe: Pixelation Issue
by on Aug 11, 2008 at 3:14:43 am

to me it does actually, there concern was that the edges are jagged.they want to have that vector smoothness look. They did play the dvd in a mac mini player using a mac monitor( the one for the g4 model).

I have tried every single explaination I could come up with. Unfortunately they are just too stubborn to see it otherwise.

That is the problem I get with technical-savy clients who thinks they know it all. I just wish sometimes, the get on a day on my shoe once in while.

Return to posts index

Mark EspinaRe: Pixelation Issue
by on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:11:18 am

Hi Mark Daniel,

Just something to consider: coming from 720p and downconverting to 480i - you will get those jagged edges.

If they want it at the same quality as they shot it with - I'm assuming 720p shot with HVX then you should give them a data disc with a quicktime movie of the file.

Otherwise burn it as an HD/Bluray DVD - which they would need a Bluray DVD player for.

Where will this be shown? Is this for broadcast? Is it for internal viewing only? WIll it be projected on a large screen?

If it is for broadcast - there is no HD broadcast signal yet in the Philippines - so NTSC is the standard, try dumping it down to BETA or DigiBeta and give them that copy and hopefully they have a player that can play that.

Otherwise the best thing you could do is make sure that your settings in FC and DVD SP are set to the highest quality setting as possible (which I think you already did).

And if they're still not convinced go to the apple quicktime trailers website and show them the difference between the 1080, 720, 480p resolutions - since you can choose which res you want to watch the trailer in - and hopefully they see the difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved