BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Question about credits

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welksQuestion about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:24:34 am

I've been watching podcasts and am curious if anyone has any idea on the difference between any of the following credits:

1. Producer vs. Senior Producer
2. Technical Director vs. Floor Director
3. Director of Production vs. Production Coordinator

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:33:58 am

There are no governing bodies or guilds overseeing podcasts, so credits are open to interpretation. In the real world these credits typically mean the following:

[stan welks] "1. Producer vs. Senior Producer"

A Senior Producer is typically the boss of the Producer.

[stan welks] "2. Technical Director vs. Floor Director"

A Floor Director is typically a glorified stage manager. A Technical Director either switches multiple cameras as in television or oversees the entire show from a technical standpoint.

[stan welks] "3. Director of Production vs. Production Coordinator"

A Production Coordinator is typically a glorified Production Assistant. A Director of Production is typically a management type or executive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

stan welksRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:02:16 am

If these credits were in the film world, does it matter what title is actually assigned to someone? Does this affect points on the backend or is that negotiated on an individual basis?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 7:08:22 am

[stan welks] "If these credits were in the film world, does it matter what title is actually assigned to someone?"

Sure, credits are the currency of Hollywood. They don't mean anything if they're handed out indiscrimantly.

Producer credits for instance are now very strictly controlled on most legitimate projects. In the past they were handed out like candy at Holloween, but not any more.

[stan welks] "Does this affect points on the backend or is that negotiated on an individual basis?"

Points are negotiated on an individual basis, but typically only to people above the line (producers, directors, principle players). A producer's rank gets them more points. So, an executive producer gets more than a producer, and a producer gets more than an associate producer, etc.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ryan MastRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:17:57 pm

The Producer's Guild of America has more info on what producer titles mean http://www.producersguild.org/pg/about_a/faq.asp'>here.

Return to posts index

Del HolfordRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 1:14:33 pm

In the opening credits of a feature film there is an Academy prescribed method for the order of credits, the director being the last credit going into the action. This must be adhered to. On the ending credits there are specific credits for specific jobs, so yes, what one is credited for is very important. This would be the basis for residuals as well, although the actual fee might be negotiated.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

Eric SuschRe: Question about credits
by on Jul 30, 2008 at 6:43:43 am

I'm curious. What podcasts are you watching that have these types of credits? Revision3?

Eric Susch

http://www.LetsKnit2gether.com

http://www.EricSusch.com

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Come and see our presentation at the
New Media Expo in Las Vegas.

Return to posts index

stan welksRe: Question about credits
by on Aug 1, 2008 at 10:38:01 pm

yup, various revision 3 shows. They seems to be very well produced compared to other podcasts I have found. I just clicked over to your presentation at the New Media Expo, I am going to try to attend this!

Since you are doing work in this area, do you know how I could get some idea of how much money potential there is for a subscriber base such as, Revision 3 episodes from sponsorships? I understand I am not going to get exact numbers, though is there a way to get a rough idea?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric SuschRe: Question about credits
by on Aug 5, 2008 at 10:53:41 pm

I wish there was a simple answer to your question. The short answer is that this industry is too young for any numbers that mean anything. Some are making money and some are not. Those who are making money are essentially pioneering their own thing so duplicating what they’re doing isn’t always possible. It’s the wild west. Technology and the marketplace are changing very rapidly.

Our show is making money but we aren't making a profit yet. We've yet to sign a sponsor although we have a few good prospects. We are making some big waves in the knitting world however, so I know there’s value in our show. We have the top knitting video podcast by far with about 15,000 downloads a month. (…with two shows a month.) The trick is getting somebody to take a risk on us and pay for that value.

Rev3 has an advantage because they run their sponsorships across all their shows. There are other so called "networks" that are trying to do this but I think so far Rev3 is doing it the best. They have a lot of overhead though. They’re supporting a multi-camera soundstage and a really large staff (by podcasting standards.) Check out the keynote with Jim Louderback CEO of Rev3 from last year’s expo:

http://podcastacademy.com/2008/06/11/pnme-2007-jim-louderback-keynote/

The best place to learn about all this stuff if you’re serious about getting into it is at the New Media Expo. Nothing can replace meeting different people from all over who are succeeding / failing / pioneering this new space. I’ve actually stopped going to NAB in favor of the Expo. It’s just so much more valuable. If you end up going next week, be sure to look me up and say hi. Our presentation is Saturday morning if you're interested in what we are doing. It would be nice to see some folks from the COW there.

And if you can, click through the link in my sig to register. Maybe I can get credit for referring at least one person ;-)

PS - just as I was finishing this post I found out about this:

Sony pictures acquires exclusive worldwide cross platform distribution r...

Rocketboom is one of the original pioneers of internet video. It’s reportedly a seven figure deal. I know Andrew who produces the show so I'm really happy to see this kind of success for him (and all of us in New Media.) There’s never a dull moment....

Eric Susch

http://www.LetsKnit2gether.com

http://www.EricSusch.com

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Come and see our presentation at the
New Media Expo in Las Vegas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]