BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Trademarks and Computer Graphics

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hampton conner
Trademarks and Computer Graphics
on Jul 15, 2008 at 7:24:55 pm

Ive been asked to do some simple computer graphics using after effects, for a friend of mine and after completion he wants to trademark or copyright the video. I really have no clue about any of the legal issues but Im curious do you actually have to give a detailed report of programs used or the notes on how it was constructed or licensing for the programs? I havent been archiving any of this information so Im hoping to find out before I spend anymore time or effort.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: Trademarks and Computer Graphics
on Jul 17, 2008 at 12:44:16 am

Video copyrights only apply to the creative content - as in, you give him full rights to use the video you created in any way he see fits. He then files to obtain a legal copyright on the creative work naming him as the owner of the work. Any one who wishes to use it must get permission from him, and you no longer would have any rights to use it (unless he gives you that right) and you would ALSO lose any claim to moneys received should the work be sold, licensed or distributed etc.

In short, it doesn't matter, nor will it ever come up, what software was used or anything like that. All that matters is the agreement between you and this friend of yours with regards to who legally owns the finished video.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:47:20 pm

What about the original project files? For example, I create a title sequence for a client and the client wants to own "all the copyright" on it, do they own the finished edit, or do they also own the project file for the title sequence? Do I have to give them the project file and all the media for it?

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 18, 2008 at 1:53:04 am

Project files are typically considered proprietary, confidential information BUT not because the law covers this - simply that most companies have this type of stuff covered in their contract. All of these issues come down to what is in your contract. If you don't stipulate, in a signed contract, that you own the project files, then the only true answer is "whatever the judge decides."

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jul 21, 2008 at 5:03:35 am

Thanks for the clarification, Brendan -- that helps a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]