BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

DVD vs. internet for demos

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
DVD vs. internet for demos
on Jul 9, 2008 at 4:13:59 pm

Would you prefer receiving an unsolicited demo/resume electronically or an actuall DVD and paper resume?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: DVD vs. internet for demos
on Jul 9, 2008 at 4:27:53 pm

People can be very busy. Definitely Web!

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 9, 2008 at 4:29:16 pm

I'd prefer not to receive unsolicited demo reels or resumes. It's a waste of time for both you and the prospect.

Frankly you should contact prospective employers first and see if they would like to see your demo and resume. Ask them how they wish to receive your materials.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 9, 2008 at 5:35:02 pm

Like Greg Ball, I would prefer not to receive unsolicited demo reels by mail -- as then I have to throw them away -- and I definitely do not want an unsolicited demo reel and accompanying PDF (or DOC file) sent to me unrequested.

But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Jul 9, 2008 at 9:11:51 pm

Unsolicited demo reels by mail will just sit in a file cabinet until I'm ready to hire.That could be months or even a year. (I purge my filing cabinet of reels once a year since I figure people will have usually moved on by then.)

By the time I need to hire, if I've seen a promising reel that was sent a few months before, I'll most likely ask the applicant if they have an updated reel anyway.

Even though technical video quality is not as high on the web, it still gives me enough to know whether I want to pursue an employee further. It also gives you a better chance to keep things fresh and up-to-date.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
OK E-mail vs. cold calling
on Jul 9, 2008 at 9:52:07 pm

Ok, it sounds like most prefer not to get unsolicited demos our resumes. When contacting would you prefer to get an e-mail introduciton or a phone call?

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Peter Rooney
Re: OK E-mail vs. cold calling
on Jul 9, 2008 at 10:58:30 pm

For my pennyworth, I HATE getting emails when i can see that it's been sent to a hundred other people as well. If i want to introduce myself to a client or another business I definitely send an email directly to the person involved and only him/her. I think that's simple courtesy, shotgunning your details all over the place looks desperate and discourteous. I'd check out a link quicker than loading a DVD.
Peter

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 9, 2008 at 11:14:16 pm

I absolutely agree, I just know when cold calling it can be next to impossible to talk to the actual person you need to. Also, if they are busy would they be more likely to look at an e-mail than take the time to take a phone call.

Scott

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 9, 2008 at 11:29:03 pm

[Scott Davis] "I just know when cold calling it can be next to impossible to talk to the actual person you need to. Also, if they are busy would they be more likely to look at an e-mail than take the time to take a phone call."

Neither, if all you want to do is talk about yourself and what you do.

Surprised?

If you research the company and find out what you think they could use and you do a bit of spec work to show them what you would do for them, quite often they will talk to you.

I get so many prospecting emails that I never look at them. They are never about me, our company or what we need. They are always about them and so my eyes glaze over in boredom and I quit reading.

That's my take on it.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34:58 pm

Very good point. I will keep that in mind.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
Thank you Ron and everybody!!
on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:28:10 pm

It always amazes me how a simple and thoughtful comment from someone can shift my whole paradigm. After reading Ron's above response I am in the midst of reworking my whole approach. I am going to take the focus off of what/who I am and shift it to how I can help the person I am contacting.

In a way I find this so much easier in that I have always felt like a jerk when tooting my own horn.

Thanks again Ron and everybody else.

Scott

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:44:40 am

I agree, Ron. If I have to read another email from someone using the same old generic self promotion/marketing puffery/classic resume language I'm gonna keel over.

I guess that comes with the territory. I must admit I remember how tough it is to craft a unique pitch that will cut through the resume clutter EVERY TIME you are looking for work, but people really need to try harder. I think most people out there forget that they are competing against other applicants and need to stand out from the crowd if they want to get noticed.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:17:59 pm

[Scott Davis] "if they are busy would they be more likely to look at an e-mail than take the time to take a phone call."

Maybe, if done properly...

I tend to agree with all the others, however I received an email from a colleague today that made me think of you and this thread.

The email was very tastefully produced by the same professional website designer who also created their company's website. It exhibited three or four exciting recent productions my colleague had been involved in, with links to clips of their well-produced video, and other than that it was fairly low-key and soft-sell.

I was excited for my colleague, as the email made his projects look like things I wish I were doing now. And above all, I found myself thinking, "heck, I'd like to work with him again."

BINGO!!! Pay the line!!! Success!!! What that email did is about the best you could ever hope for. No email is ever going to close a sale for you, but it certainly shows that, if you can create the right email, it just might open a door or two for you if you're lucky.

Hope this helps...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:38:05 am

I hate getting cold calls, even if it is regarding employment. I am busy 10-12 hours a day and can barely spare the time to eat lunch (in fact, I rarely eat lunch), much less take calls. To make matters worse, people (understandably) want to get personable and friendly, chat it up etc. and I just don't have time for that.

I know that sounds a bit grumpy, but it's just the reality of running a studio. I would WAY prefer a simple introductory email with a link to an online demo reel. This way I can not only read the letter when I have the time, but when I need to hire it is much easier to pull up links than dig through the dreaded demo reel bin and load DVDs.

As always, just my 2 cents...

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 11, 2008 at 2:50:10 am

Personally, I don't take cold calls. Not to be a grump, either... but like Brendan, I'm usually just too busy to deal with them. If I happen to answer the phone myself and find myself with a cold caller, I'm polite, but they usually don't get too much of my time. Those at my place who normally are the first to answer the phones usually do a pretty good job of screening the calls for me.

When I get emails, sometimes I click on the links, sometimes I don't... largely depends on the tone and professionalism of the email and what I'm doing at the time.

However... if someone mails in or drops off a reel... I always watch it. Maybe not right away, but within a day or two. They took the effort to get their actual reel in my hands, so I give them the courtesy of a viewing. And you ever know when it might be good (or have an idea thats inspiring).

This is not a hard-and-fast rule or even a company policy or anything... it's just sort of the way that it works out and the method that we have fallen into.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Karl Soehnlein
on Jul 10, 2008 at 6:20:28 am

Scott,

I've never hired anyone, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

First find out who is in charge of hiring at the company. Make sure to contact the right person regardless of your communication method. Don't send general e-mails "To whom it may concern."

Once you have established their contact info, call them. Ask if they have any current openings available or if they will be hiring in the near future. Mention that you have a demo available on your website AND on DVD. If they are interested, ask which is more convienent for them. If they want a DVD, mail it immidiately (along with your business card, etc.).

If everything goes well up to this point, get their contact information and follow up with an e-mail. Good luck.

Karl Soehnlein
Reel Wave Media, LLC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 10, 2008 at 6:31:42 pm

Perhaps more effective is a personal introduction or recommendation by some mutual acquaintance. Which is I guess why these various networking systems like Linked-In are gaining popularity. Your colleagues act as the first-stage filter.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 11, 2008 at 1:30:02 pm

I will chime in about cold calling and cold e-mailing.
Outside sales is a tough job and I feel sorry for people who have to make cold calls all day long.
But I agree, the internet lets you do free research on almost any company, so a cold caller should never ask "so what does your company do?"
I on the other hand often ask cold callers "so what does your company do?"
I get the occasional call with the following scenario:
Receptionist over PA: Mike, you have a call on line 2.
Me: Who is it?
Receptionist: I didn't ask.
Me: Ask.
Receptionist: It's Bob.
Me: I don't know a Bob, but whatever.
Caller: Is this Mike?
Me: Yes. Do I know you?
Caller: Hi this is Bob from ABCXYZ Inc. I'd like to take a few minutes...
Me: What do you do, or what are you selling?
Caller: Well, can you tell me about your IT needs?
Me: We have no IT needs.
Caller: Are you the person who makes computer purchasing decisions?
Me: What's a computer? I don't have time, can you send me something?

Or Alternatively, I get a follow-up call from someone I hung up on previously:

Caller: Mike? Hi this is Bob Smith.
Mike: Do I know you?
Caller: Yes, we spoke a few months back. I own XYZ Fish Hook Repair company.
Mike: Oh yeah. I told you before, we repair our own fish hooks.
Caller: Well can you allow me to quote you a rate?
Mike: What is your rate?
Caller: Well, if I could direct you to our website you can view our rate card.
Mike: You know what, no. Don't call me ever again.
Caller: But...
click

Well that is a bit extreme, but as others have said, a cold call need not be ice cold.

As for cold e-mails, I usually delete these unless it is a newsletter I have signed up for.

More often I get e-mails as a response to a classified ad I have posted. I have several criteria for weeding through the dozens of responses:

1. A typo in the e-mail - trash.
2. A dead link - trash
3. Poor grammar, ie "I present to you myself for excellent work on the behalf of yourself" - trash
4. Form e-mail "Dear Sirs..." move to the Bad responses folder.
5. If none of the above happen and the links are good, this is a good e-mail to pursue contact.

Our time is precious, and so is our money.

Mike

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 11, 2008 at 1:58:23 pm

Oh, yeah, I've had those conversations.

It's just amazing to me that callers (whether they be sales people, job applicants, or whatever) don't remotely seem to listen...

Case in point from last week:

I received a cold-call email from a lady (actress) inquiring about our casting process, and what she would need to do for consideration. She didn't email me directly, she emailed via a feedback form from our website. The form that is on the SAME PAGE as the link to all the info she would ever need about casting here.

I wrote her back and gave her the link directly.

Next thing I know she has dropped off in our lobby a giant leather-bound portfolio stuffed with her pictures.... DESPITE the fact that we CLEARLY say do NOT hand deliver materials and do NOT give us anything that you expect returned.

I didn't even look at it, because she didn't listen. I don't care if she looks like Halle Berry and can act like Meryl Streep, she'd be nothing but trouble on the set.

Sheesh.....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 22, 2008 at 5:53:38 pm

as a hirer, I admit I'd rather get the email. It's jst a delete away whereas the call is an interuption.
That said, as a job-seeker, I do know i'll have to interupt somebody to get their attention. Standing in line for it will just make ya stand in line.
I'm saying if yu want... ask or demand. I woundt mess around with emails to do either of those.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]