BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Painful Project

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Villarin
Painful Project
on Jun 28, 2008 at 9:01:13 pm

Just last month, I took an editing and compositing project, that took me 4 days of no rest and painful editing. It was a BVC (yet I couldn't find the viral in web anywhere), that run 30 second long. at the first 10 ten seconds, there was a vfx elements there.A good thing the pay is good.

The reason it was painful, was because of the director. He art directed every single frame in the first 10 seconds of graphics. Imagine art directing every particle in 4 second worth of graphics, every speck, every intensity, position, depth, spacing and so forth, he with art direct it. Even the shape of the smoke he will art direct it. He even ask me if I could turn night into day, with godly realism.

On editing it's quite tolerable, but when it come to 3d and compositing, it was very painful. We have to redo our 3d water elements four time to get his satisfaction. It became quite scary when he ask to redo it for the last time, 3 hours before our final presentation. Scary huh?

You see, he was an former art director in a big time local agency here in our country. Go figure. So I guess old die hard.

hehe

Well I just though to share this story.

Look on the Bright Side...

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Painful Project
on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:40:09 pm

Many of us here have similar stories and we share your pain. Next time, serve him a beverage with sleeping pills mixed in, lots of sleeping pills.

But, I have to ask: Is the product that you delivered superior to the product that you would have delivered? If he is a top notch director, he has a certain vision that he MUST get or he is settling for second best. As much as he may have been a pain, are you proud of the result?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Marc Villarin
on Jun 30, 2008 at 2:24:56 pm

I am proud of the work, especially i've gotten thru that experience with a smile.hehe.
however I couldn't say it he was top notch I mean he just started been a film and video director for a year (as so he told). I to have seen better, easier directors to work with.

But I have to say, it could have been better, story wise. The problem from the start he should have focus more on the story, rather than art direction.

Like I said old habit die hard.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:38:36 am

So what you're saying is that he was more concerned about the "look" than the "message". Very sad but we see it all the time.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Marc Villarin
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:30:16 pm

I wasn't sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing. Well I just was just there for the edit.

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 4, 2008 at 2:40:41 pm

why these people don't learn some software, I just don't know.
There is no way I could sit over somebody's shoulder, dictate avery stroke and hope they are capable of understanding and excecuting every detail. What a freakin waiste of time and budget.
When I hire somebody with a viseion, they really need to be able to create that vision. Middle men are more than expensive. They are irritating.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]