BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Marketing Strategy Advice

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc VillarinMarketing Strategy Advice
by on Jun 28, 2008 at 8:36:20 pm

I have been and Compositor and Editor for nearly seven years and started freelancing a year ago,but I have been struggling in getting projects ever since. Fortunately I have two companies, who always hire me when they have projects, but they are only two, and they don't have that much work to start with.

Just about six months ago, I went to several post-production facilities handing out my works, but they haven't called me for work. Even in the peak seasons they haven't called me. I have tried the web and other forums in my search for work but no luck.

It's getting kinda despressing, not getting any work as usual.

I was just thinking if there is a marketing strategy that could help in my dilema?

Thanks in advance for all the help I could get.

Look on the Bright Side...

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Marketing Strategy Advice
by on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:51:18 am

If I only hear from someone once every six months they might not be the first to come to mind the next time I have overflow work. While word of mouth is still the the best marketing tool, it wouldn't hurt to send your targets a reminder email or e-newsletter that lets customers know that you are offering additional services, tips for post production or something "of value" that also reminds them that you exist.

Are production companies your main target? How about independent producers? In your post, you didn't say where you are located, what type of client or industry you specialize in (corporate, commercial, music video?). You may want to cast your net a little wider.

Put your company website URL at the bottom of every post here on the COW and everywhere else. Hold an "open house" to show people your work. If you don't have a professional facility that you want to show off, you can still team up with other production industry folks and have a "Video Production Open House" with other partners that offer animation.

It's ironic, but one way I've gotten work from production houses was by referring work that I couldn't do (or didn't want to do) to them. For instance, I never was interested in the wedding video market, but I've sent potential wedding clients to friends who do a great job with that type of event. Those guys have in turn recommended me to clients who want a scriptwriter and producer for high-end corporate videos (nonfiction scriptwriting isn't one of the services he offers).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved