BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Client has 7 month response time

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig SeemanClient has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:22:20 pm

I wonder if this is a record for slow moving clients.

I sent a second cut on a project 7 months ago and the client is first responding now with revisions for final edit.

Background:
I did a one day shoot for a client with an internationally distributed product 9 months ago. It was the kind of project that would usually be done with two days of editing. They were in a hurry to start editing.

I sent them a window dub and the producer shows up apparently not having taken a close look at it. I made sure the date was a couple of days after they got the dub. They originally wanted the day after the shoot which would have upped the cost because they'd be screening during edit time since I think the client wasn't aware of an efficient workflow. The client had to leave after a couple of hours. I completed the rough cut and send it to them.

A month later, I hadn't heard back and followed up asking if the project was still alive. Nearly a month after that (2 months after shoot and 1 month from 1st rough cut) I get revisions and send them 2nd rough cut. Now 7 months later they have revisions for the next cut.

Once again they seem to be in a hurry to book edit time but the dates they want I'm already booked (with higher paying clients as my rates have gone up).

No issue with payment as they always pay for the booked day in advanced. I'll certainly have a day for them in the near future but I'm not going to push out clients who've already booked time.

I thought the story was so unusual that it was worth telling here.

Return to posts index

jon agnewRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 4:21:20 pm

Wow, Craig. My current record for hibernating clients is 5 months...so yours have me beat by a good 60 days. Gives a whole new meaning to "Hurry up and wait," doesn't it?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 4:54:57 pm

I have you guys so beat...

I have a client who started a project in May 2004 that is still unfinished today in June 2008. Since March of 2005 the client has been promising to get that one completed. We have had numerous editing sessions booked to do so, all of which have ultimately been cancelled.

Meanwhile, that client has brought in other work, and every time we get together on those projects the client promises to furnish a new timetable for finishing the old project, all without ever batting an eyelash, just as though it was yesterday that we ceased working on the original project.

That client is my own personal Twilight Zone...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY â„¢

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 5:10:39 pm

At least your client is giving you promises. After delivering the 2nd rough cut, the client simply didn't respond . . . for 7 months. The client hasn't brought me any other work either. Just disappeared . . . until a few days ago. They're willing to pay in advance before the next edit date so even if the date shifts, it's paid for. Just sorta odd that there was no word whether the job was killed, delayed or anything else.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 7:50:02 pm

For a client, a video project may be one of dozens of action items in their Outlook or Crackberry to do list. It seems rather important for a few days surrounding the shoot, then you send them the edit, which you rushed to finish, putting other work aside, and they respond with "thanks, will look at this sometime."

Then months pass - you wonder if they have forgotten about you, but in reality the client has sales meetings, conventions, product development, focus groups, golf outings and their usual day to day business, not to mention if the client is an executive or manager, they spend a lot of each day solving problems for other directs or superiors or other contractors or clients of their.

And then 6 months+ later they call you asking for another DVD, they lost the last one, and no, they have not looked at it yet.

I like to find a 2nd person in the client's organization who can help move things along. A junior account executive, admin assistant or marketing person who may eventually see the video but probably has never heard of the project before.

Even very large Fortune 500 companies have communication issues, people are kept out of the loop and schedules are busy - thus when a mom and pop or smaller company has the same issues just realize that everyone has the same issues.

Business = Busyness

Then, once you think the project is done, it goes to legal review for another 3 months+ and then you start all over again, like the Bill on Capitol Hill trying to become a Law.

Mike

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 7:58:52 pm

In this case my client has a client and their client didn't get back to them, so I've just been informed.

We are only as efficient as our slowest link.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 28, 2008 at 12:42:47 am

Well, I have one that's still not concluded at 2 years and three months, and counting. Well, I STOPPED counting.

But I'll tell you this, and you can take it to the bank: If I want to hear from them within 24 hours, all I need to do is wipe their files from my hard drive array.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:52:20 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But I'll tell you this, and you can take it to the bank: If I want to hear from them within 24 hours, all I need to do is wipe their files from my hard drive array."

Happened to us a few months ago. We had a project that was several years old that was an instructional DVD set for a college. We needed the 400 gigs it occupied and made the call. "We are so done with that and our internal guys have everything" was the response. Wiped the drive and within the above allotted 24 hours came the call from the program admin. "On second thought, our internal guys are idiots so buy us a drive and store the files." Crap. We located Data Rescue on the web and brought it all back.

Had we loaded another job on the drive, we would have been screwed. This project was 4 years old.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Client has 7 month response time
by on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:43:17 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "That client is my own personal Twilight Zone..."

Words of experience from Dr. Weiss

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Steve WargoWhoa...
by on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:45:40 pm

After thinking about it, we have one that we started in Feb 2005 and we're still waiting. It was a medical computer device that got a piece of new technology so were waiting for some code to be written and then we move ahead.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Whoa...
by on Jun 30, 2008 at 5:54:17 pm

Finally delivered a documentary I have been working on for the past 10+ years:

Project history:
- Shot on original Betacam serial #8 camera in 1982/83
- Dubbed to 1", 3/4 and vhs
- Lawsuit brought up, tapes put in storage for 15 years.
- Clause in original contract if footage not used for 10 years, director get all tapes.
- Begin VHS offline in 1995 with director
- Director spends 6 months in us, then travels 6 months in europe & africa. (project on hold)
- dub all tapes to digi-beta for back up and final online.
- project goes through 6 different edit systems, VHS tape to tape, VM, Matrox Premiere, DPS velocity, Avid, and finally FCP.
- Lock picture 5/2005 ( some original Betacam's snap on digitizing / find 1" replacements)
- Director has two other project come up / 6 more months go by.
- VO needs to be re-done after 50+ script re-writes.
- Camera masters have bad audio from camera mic. Rebuild entire nat sound from 5+ CD libraries (30+ layers in FCP)
- Lock new picture and VO 6/2006 (director goes overseas again for 6 months)
- DVD encode and deliver 12 /2006
- DVD hits market Spring 2007
- possible International sale for broadcast 4/2008 (break out all hard drive back ups and prep broadcast master.

In all the years working with the director, we have had fun and never once did I feel this project would not be completed. Sometimes things took a different direction, but this director had the passion to see it through.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Whoa...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:41:24 am

That one is going to be hard to beat.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Whoa...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47:11 am

[Steve Wargo] "That one is going to be hard to beat."

Well, I started a huge design on a cave wall back before the ice age...

Okay, that's not really true, but I feel that old some days...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Whoa...
by on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:57:17 am

David, so those were your works of art they found in the La Brea Tar Pits :-)
<http://www.tarpits.org/research/pit91/pit91a.html>

Darn, I thought I had this one won........I bow down to your works of wonder ;-)

Anyway, for those of interested in the project, you can find more info here:
<http://www.equivision.net/nature/nature.htm>

In a way it is sad the project was shot on betacam vs. film, as we would have been able to move to HD for the master with ease. All the raw footage is now being donated to one or two universities, so hopefully it will live on with various researchers.

You can read more info about Robert's fascinating life of work:
<http://www.equivision.net/nature/About.htm>

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: Whoa...
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 6:52:26 pm

But I'll tell you this, and you can take it to the bank: If I want to hear from them within 24 hours, all I need to do is wipe their files from my hard drive array.
Boy is that the truth!!

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]