BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Corp video format dilemma

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
Corp video format dilemma
on Jun 26, 2008 at 9:30:33 pm

Hi All:
Just want to get some feedback on a project I am working on. Here's the Skinny.
I am working on a multi-location corporate video that will combine Interviews, high tech news set, motion control camera and some factory location shooting. The video will lean to a magazine style show look. Here is the dilemma (budget). I have to shoot the motion control stuff in HD (DVC-PRO HD), because it will be put into HD monitors on the set. The program will be delivered on SD DVD. My DP recommends shooting the rest of the video on DV on her Panasonic 200. She suggested this to keep the budget down since the program does not have to delivered in HD.

The DP is only doing the studio portion of the shoot. I will have another crew on location in North Carolina for the interviews and factory stuff. I have never done this big of a project on DV. Just wondering what some others would do. All thoughts are welcome!
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Corp video format dilemma
on Jun 26, 2008 at 10:08:20 pm

[Roy Schneider] "My DP recommends shooting the rest of the video on DV on her Panasonic 200. She suggested this to keep the budget down since the program does not have to delivered in HD."

Roy,

They're is no appreciable difference in cost between shooting HD and SD on the HVX200 cameras, which records both 720p HD and DV native. Things change, and should someone decide at a later time to shift the project to all HD and BluRay, you'll be coverd if you futureproof yourself now and shoot everything HD. The demands of compressed HD, such DVCProHD, are not that much greater than SD, so don't let it intimidate you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 27, 2008 at 1:31:31 am

Even though the final out put is SD DVD the difference between DV and DVCPro HD source material will be noticeable. Keeping everything a single format will also make the post workflow easier therefore saving time and money.

-A

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Jun 27, 2008 at 1:09:30 pm

Thanks for the input. I am going to go DVCPro H-D. Any advice for P-2 Workflow?

Thanks again for the help!
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:21:25 am

As stated earlier you can just shoot HD with the 200 as there is no cost difference. As far as the which format to shoot for P2 workflow can be a trick proposition.

We generally shoot 720 23.976 and mix it up with 1080i and 720 60P when needed. We have a lot of experience and completely understand the workflow we will follow, when we start a project.

If this is is your first time with P2 and mixed formats definitely stick with 1 format and frame rate. Talk with an experienced op who knows P2 workflow.

There is nothing you cannot fix, it just takes time and money.

Good luck with your project.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Rick Dolishny
on Jun 27, 2008 at 1:56:57 am

Shoot one format, preferably HD. You will never regret that decision but will kick yourself once you start mixing and matching and end up settling for SD.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

jon agnew
on Jun 27, 2008 at 4:26:10 pm

I totally agree with what everyone else said. Stick with one format. The difference between the HD and SD footage will be obvious.

Though the down-converted footage will be subject to the limitations of the DV format, it doesn't mean that it will look the same as DV footage. Kind of like if you were to watch The Godfather on video...It doesn't look like it was shot on VHS.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:59:13 am

[jon agnew] "It doesn't look like it was shot on VHS."

What is VHS?

Just kidding! But it won't be long before that is a legit question. I have a Beetles record (45 no less) sitting on my desk and a young lady was in one day and said "Is that a vinyl record?" I bought it new in '64.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]