BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Giving internships to students for my small company.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
Giving internships to students for my small company.
on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:31:37 am

I own a boutique post production studio.

I have a few students who have approached me and wanted internships.

How can this be done, officially, and count either on their resume or for school credit, would I have to get in contact with their school, or what are the most basic requirements for someone to be an intern for my company?

This is my company by the way.
http://www.newelementproductions.com

Film-Maker/ Blu-ray Author/ Compositor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Giving internships to students for my small company.
on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:03:10 am

Clint,

Each department in a college or university typically assigns a faculty member to administer internships. The dean's office will have that information, and its a simple matter for the students to meet with their respective faculty member to find out what the requirements are for obtaining academic credit at their school.

The schools normally provide paperwork for you to fill out, explaining what types of work, training and responsibilities you intend for the students; if you intend to pay them anything; and, how you will evaluate their performance. They will want to insure that you adhere to both state and federal guidelines, which are in place to prevent business owners from hiring students as slave laborers, which was an all to common practice in our business in years gone by.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:52:17 am

Hi Clint,

There may also be a requirement from the school that their supervisor have at least a bachelor's degree, perhaps even a masters. But of course, there's nothing to stop you from offering internships to interested students for work experience, not necessarily school credit -- it at least looks good on a resume, and it's a lot less hassle for everyone involved...

If you're interested in attracting more interns, and if you haven't been approached yet by local schools to provide internships, it might be worth an hour or two to call/email around to the career centers and Comm department secretaries & heads at local colleges. They often keep a list of local companies that offer internships for credit or experience -- you could probably easily get added to the list.

As a college student... please be nice to the interns. We can run a very long time on free food, cool new things to do, and some kind words.

Return to posts index

on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:34:22 am

Great sounds good, what is most funny about this is that I too am a college student, but yeah this will be a good experience for a less experienced person, thanks for the tips.

Film-Maker/ Blu-ray Author/ Compositor

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jun 19, 2008 at 12:06:32 pm

Ha! That's funny. A local college contacted me, too, to see if my company would be interested in hosting interns. I did at least go meet with them, totally upfront about who I am and what we are -- completely student owned and operated. Because I don't have a bachelors or a masters, we're ineligible to host students for academic credit, but their office is going to keep us on file for students that just want more work experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]