BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Business Help for 17 year old

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Neumann
Business Help for 17 year old
on Jun 12, 2008 at 8:05:41 am

Hello all!
I look forward to being part of this great community.

I am looking for some advice from of some of the experienced business men from this community in order to help me break through in the video editing industry.

In reality working with visual effects would be a dream career. I have been working with Adobe After Effects profusely for the last 2 years. I have become pretty good and I look forward to excelling with it. But I am hear to obtain advice on how to get into the video editing/visual FX career when starting from scratch. I have not done any serious works, but I want to start. Please give me advice you have picked up over time, and help me.

Thanks in advance,
Trevor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Business Help for 17 year old
on Jun 12, 2008 at 3:54:45 pm

My standard advice is to build a reel of spec and pro-bono work for charities or causes you support, or those supported by the people you want to work for. Then take that reel to those people you want to work for and ask for an interview, or at least a facility tour. Beginners typically get jobs on the night shift and weekends, doing the scutwork like supervisng imports, preparing and loading elements in advance for the staff editor, long, boring roto work, and babysitting renders, that sort of thing.

You might also join a site like ifreelance.com. There are others like it out there too. It lets you post samples of your work and bid on small jobs for people all over the world, (which works great for you as you can FTP your finished work anywhere) as well as recieve invitations to bid on projects.

If I understand it correctly, for some sites like this, they let members compete on a bid but even if you don't win the bid, you get a little percentage of the winner's fee. This supposedly helps keep people from bidding so low that nobody gets a profit, but the competition keeps the rates reasonable for the clients.

You can also try Mandy.com and even CraigsList, but I think most folks here are down on Craig's, because it does seem to cater to the bottom-feeder charge-too-low/ get little back in exchange for "exposure" mentality.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Business Help for 17 year old
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:11:25 pm

To add to what Mark said, call all of the post & VFX shops in your area to find an internship. Most people will try to find a place for a bright kid.

Find a couple of short films or indie features to work on. That's a good way to gain experience in the complete process and build a reel.

Learn how to rotoscope. Most VFX houses need roto artists.

Also, you don't say where you're located. Some places have more opportunities than others.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
forgot to mention...
on Jun 12, 2008 at 5:24:27 pm

Learn how to do the basics, learn the popular methods, learn the popular software packages.

Learn how to pull a good key from a badly lit blue or greenscreen shot. Quickly.

You already know AE, it wouldn't hurt (and would probably be a big help) to also know Shake, Combustion or Nuke. Shake is in very wide use, and Nuke is rapidly becoming more popular.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Trevor Neumann
Re: forgot to mention...
on Jun 12, 2008 at 6:16:26 pm

Thanks for the help.

I am located in San Antonio, TX. Any more guidance/advice would be welcomed.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 13, 2008 at 2:59:52 am

Honestly Trevor, where you are only 17 I would say stay with school for a while more. Get a associates or even a full degree. Build your skills in school, build up a portfolio at the same time if you can. Get internships that will not only real word experience, but also give you real world contacts.

Best of luck.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Trevor Neumann
on Jun 13, 2008 at 4:25:57 am

yeah true, well while I'm enrolling in college for my business degree, do you think it's reasonable that I could be making 800 dollars a month. While I'm in college my dad says: Part time job, or 800 dollars a month. Do you guys think that reasonable for freelance work?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 13, 2008 at 4:33:04 am

I don't know. With out a portfolio or experience it is going to be extremely difficult getting freelance work. Also you will not be able to charge much as a freelancer because of your lack of experience and proof of skill found in a demo reel.

I would look for work a part time job at a production house, add agency, news station etc. Even a place that does weddings may not be a bad choice for now. You could get editing experience and use what you know about After effects to create some cool DVD menus, and other things.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 14, 2008 at 4:53:27 pm

I just typed in "San Antonio Graphics" into google, and a whole slew of places came up. Call all of them, and tell them how ambitious you are. Get a free internship. People love free labor. In three months you will be valuable to them, and all the other people you see on your google list, and they will pay you what you want.
Getting in at the beginning is the hard part. 3 months is not a lot to sacrifice, and you will learn more at ANY of thes companies than in 4 years at college.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

hamish boyd
on Jun 15, 2008 at 11:01:15 am

Best advice is to meet as many people in the industry as you can.
A really good way of a least meeting people is asking whether you can just meet them just for advice about the industry rather than pushing them for a job.

People love to talk about themselves if someone is willing to listen, and you can learn a lot from anyone who has been in the industry for a length of time so ask lots of questions.

If you present well, look motivated and are genuinely interested in getting advice from people face to face, people will notice and before you know it someone will say, "why don't you come and help us with this shoot we are doing..." and your away.

Worst case scenario is you have gain some valuable knowledge!

Good luck, stay motivated, if you want to do it you will.

Return to posts index

Trevor Neumann
on Jun 16, 2008 at 6:52:56 am

good advice guys. More is still welcome. I really appreciate this.

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
on Jun 19, 2008 at 1:28:58 am

Hey kid, move to LA first before you even continue to make any posts. If you want a Visual FX house to take you seriously, if you are serious about your career, you have to move to LA, sorry thats the way it is. Unless you want to be like Robert Rodriguez and own your own facility and make your own films in Texas. Hey, that would be a good dream why don't you aim for that? Why not? But you have to work hard, every day, night, and it will happen. But to meet a lot of great people, move to LA, dig yourself into craigslist.org and don't get out, seriously. Do a lot of free work, build a nice website, impress people, but most importantly, pimp yourself, self promote yourself, no one else is going to do it for you, after working your butt off on a big film such as star wars, the hulk, or other film with lots of visual fx, you get a few seconds of screen time as your name passes quickly as people are trying to get out of the theatre as quickly as they can. They don't know you, they don't care who are you. So its your job to make yourself known, trust me.

So, with that said, you want to work on some shots for my film? Got anything to show? Email me, info@newelementproductions.com - Peace.

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
http://www.newelementproductions.com
Film-Maker/ Blu-ray Author/ Compositor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]