BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

NASA stockfootage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon RoughanNASA stockfootage
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:33:08 am

Hi everybody. I need a relatively new shot of an astronaut spacewalking (close-up of visor). Ive looked through a ton of stock footage websites, but could only find dated footage. I saw a perfecr clip on the NASA website, but couldnt find any information on whether the videos are for sale or not. Does anyone have any information regarding whether or not NASA sells stock video? And if so, a link or contact for this?
thanks heaps,
Simon

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 3:07:20 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure if they sell it, per se, but NASA certainly does have plenty of it. I've got tons of NASA footage, but I don't think I have exactly what you are looking for.

I'm not sure where you are, but I would call the nearest NASA facility (here in my city it is Marshall Space Flight Center). Depending on where you are that could be Huntsville, Houston, the Cape, DC....

Ask for their "media relations" department. You will probably end up talking to five or six people before you reach the right person, but they might be able to get you what you need. I'm not sure about the other NASA centers, but the media folks at our NASA center here are very helpful.

Barring that, call the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, also here in Huntsville...256 721-7101. They are not a NASA facility, but is the world's largest space and rocketry museum ("Space Camp" is here), and are used to getting media requests by the bucket full. A nice fellow named Al Whitaker heads their media relations team... and I'm betting they will either be able to find what you need or point you in the right direction. You can tell him I gave you his name, if you like.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 3:28:41 pm

Simon -

No, NASA won't sell you the stock footage, but if you can find it in their catalogue they will give it to you absolutely free. You want to get in touch with the Media Resource Center (MRC) at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston. The head librarian is Susan Phipps - Email: susan.d.phipps@nasa.gov.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 3:53:11 pm

[Herb Sevush] " but if you can find it in their catalogue they will give it to you absolutely free."

I wouldn't say "absolutely free", but it's basically "sold" for the cost of dubbing & shipping it. Footage created by the US government (of which NASA is a part) is public domain. The individuals in the footage have specific rights to their image, so you may still need to get a release from anyone who can be recognized in a shot.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 4:07:56 pm

Arnie -

I wouldn't say "absolutely free", but it's basically "sold" for the cost of dubbing & shipping

If you go through the basic catalogue material there is no dubbing charge. They loan you betaSP tapes that you can either digitize or make copies of. No, they don't hand deliver it to you, but I still consider that free.

The individuals in the footage have specific rights to their image, so you may still need to get a release from anyone who can be recognized in a shot.

For all practical purposes this isn't an issue. You do not need releases for any shots of the astronauts and crew. If you use any of NASA's produced films in it's entirety you do not need releases for anything in the films. You might need releases for their narrators if you re-cut the films, but, unless you were putting it in a feature or nationally broadcast spot, it's a fairly moot point.

NASA supplies their release policy with the materials. For what Simon wants, he has no release issues.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Simon RoughanRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 10, 2008 at 1:42:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it)Im in Germany, which complicates matters. But I'll drop Susan Phipps a mail, and see what she can do for me, if anything.
Again, thanks for the tips...
Simon

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Jun 12, 2008 at 9:10:58 pm

The issue is whether you intend to use the footage to imply NASA's endorsement or not. If not, you should be o.k.

Call 281-483-0123 and ask the operator at Johnson Space Center to forward you to the Media Services Library (not the media services branch - it's in a different building). If you can point them to the shot you need and give them a fed-ex number they will ship the footage to you.

Return to posts index

Shane GilchristRe: NASA stockfootage
by on Oct 31, 2008 at 7:18:54 am

Hi Simon, I searched the net for you and came up with the COW post, so hence am contacting you through this. Given yr post says you live in Germany, I'm presuming it's the same Simon Roughan I know from Dunedin. Anyway, what's yr email/contact address? It's been a while and much has happened in life.

take it easy, shane (gilchrist)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]