BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Selling Raw Footage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher WilliamsSelling Raw Footage
by on May 28, 2008 at 3:57:49 pm

Greetings all;
I have been honored to have my footage aired for a community affairs program for a local TV station here in NYC. The station is going to compensate me to use about 20-30 minutes of my footage. Who much should I charge, and What is the going rate for TV stations buying footage.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Selling Raw Footage
by on May 28, 2008 at 5:00:52 pm

There is no universal rate, and most community access stations don't have very deep pockets, so you probably won't get rich. Unless shooting the footage was hazardous, such as sharks or gangs or a bachelorette party, you'll probably just get a hundred bucks or so. You should probably just ask your contact at the station how much they have in their budget...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Christopher WilliamsRe: Selling Raw Footage
by on May 28, 2008 at 5:12:20 pm

Thanks for your response. The contact is the host of the program and is leaving it up to me. Your right I'm not looking to make BIG $$. So I have settled on 100$ plus nyc tax. This surely won't break their budget (I Hope1). Will post another question later looking forward you comments to that as well.

Thanks David

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Selling Raw Footage
by on May 28, 2008 at 7:42:12 pm

Chris, just be sure that you retain the rights to future use of the footage for other projects. Don't permaneently give away all your rights on that footage, you may be able to re-sell it many times in the future, making more than the $100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved