BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

DVD demo or web link

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett FrameDVD demo or web link
by on May 6, 2008 at 2:45:40 am

Have you had better luck with sending a DVD with your demo reel on it to potential agencies or clients or has a link to your demo reel on line been a better solution. Or have either worked?

I had a client who wanted to introduce me to some of his colleagues. I said I would bring along a DVD for each that contained sample work, that included straight graphic design as well. He said just bring some prints, they were all to busy and would never put a DVD in to view it.

Do agencies view DVDs?

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 6, 2008 at 3:06:40 am

When introducing yourself or cold calling it's always better to go with a DVD, nicely printed with bright colours. That way, if it's lying around as is often the case the guy you sent it to won't hire you, it's the guy who found your disc lying around.

Same with a resume. Anyone I've hired was the result of looking at the resume stack with a cup of coffee and picking candidates.

Browsing on the web sounds like a great idea but we're overwhelmed with information on the web, and I believe it's two different processes between browsing the web and picking up the phone.

I have received work from my links on
but I think you can't go wrong dropping something off. It's got a shelf life.

- Rick

Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 6, 2008 at 3:39:00 am

I think it is every artist/studio's responsibility to have examples of their work available in every format that a client might request. This isn't an either/or, it's D: All Of The Above.

Some prospects want DVDs, some want a web-based preview of your capabilities. It would be a wild (and likely incorrect) guess for anyone to say which is more likely to lead to a sale. The only real indicator of motive is that DVDs are more of a long-term, "keeping you in mind" kind of thing whereas online samples are more immediate.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

John BaumchenRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 6, 2008 at 2:31:26 pm

In my other life as a self employed producer/cameraman/editor/writer/accountant/........I created a DVD and put samples up on a portfolio page.

As stated above, some prefer a DVD and some the web.

Return to posts index

Brett FrameRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 6, 2008 at 3:50:24 pm

Thank you for your insight.

It looks like by increasing the opportunities for a potential client to see your work you are increasing the chances of getting hired... if you're qualified.

Each items seems to have it's advantages. Maybe a mixture of all?

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 7, 2008 at 5:57:15 am

[Brett Frame] "Do agencies view DVDs?"

Do it all. Even if the guy says no one will view them, bring the DVDs, have them next to you on the table so the curious ones can have one and be sure to leave some behind. Even though the guy you spoke to said that "they" wouldn't look at them, I doubt if he spoke for everyone.

And, quit asking questions like that. Now that you asked, and he said no, you have effectively closed a door. When introducing yourself to a staff, you should hand each one a DVD in an Amaray case with a watershield disc, printed with your very best graphic, and a really slick printed postcard piece with a coordinated graphic. Also, include a custom printed letter opener and a business card with a magnetic back. Show them that you're a creative type with a vibrant imagination that covers all of the bases. Unless you're a dull, boring beginner, which I doubt.

And again, quit asking permission. It gives them the power of making the decision.

Leave one with the receptionist. They know everything and they're nosey. They will look at your reel and drop your name. It gives them power. Sales is all about psychology. Your reel only verifies that you can do the work, not that you're the one to hire.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 7, 2008 at 3:12:45 pm

not much.
they use to. Now, the decision is usually made before a DVD is presented, and that is always as a result of being able to check em out at leasure.
Have an online reel and offer a DVD upon request. You will find often, you will not have to send one out. When a company contacts you with intrest, they have already seen it.
while we are on it... Do ensure that reel is short. Making a brother turn it off before it's over is a strike. You need to leave em wanting to see more. Same with your resume. PLEASE don't begin it with your objectives. It can be assumed, at least at this stage, the objective is to score a gig.. hence the resume. Keep it a page or two long. Nobody has time to read a book.
few have time to even sit down and look at those reels.

Return to posts index

Brett FrameRe: DVD demo or web link
by on May 7, 2008 at 3:43:58 pm

Thanks Steve and Grinner. All good points.

The idea of giving one to a receptionist is pretty interesting. Like you had mentioned, this may make them feel more important and keep your name in their mind. They also may leave for another company and take your name along with them.

Thanks everyone,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved