BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Possible first national stuff...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
Possible first national stuff...
on May 5, 2008 at 8:10:54 pm

Hello to all....
My business partner and I are in the process of closing a deal with a group of people who are trying to advertise a slogan or idea to a large company (ex. ford, chevy etc...) I'm not gonna lie this is my first time to ever be in this position and we both don't know exactly what were expected to do. My partner has been dealing with these clients thus far so I am a little fuzzy on what is the proper process to go about what they are asking. Here's what I do know. They had my partner sign all of these disclosures and privacy things promising he would not talk about thier idea. They would like a proposal written for possible clients to read. A company in our area who handled the Oldsmobile account for a while told them they were to expect a 8-9 page proposal. This seems like a lot for just a proposal. When we talked with them we said it should be more like 3-4 pages. They agreed with that. They have commercial concepts ready and my partner showed them some of his design talent and they are pleased thus far. What they want to do is pay little to almost peanuts for his designs and then give him a percentage of the profits when they sell the idea. I believe this is going to be the same with the video production on my end, but I feel I should be paid for costs (ex. talent, rigs, tapes, etc...) Sorry to be all over but we just started talks with them and they like our answers thus far and we really don't want to look like amateur's. So if anyone can point me in the right direction we would both appreciate it!

Thanks;

Chuck
Obernesser Productions
http://www.obernesserproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Possible first national stuff...
on May 5, 2008 at 9:55:35 pm

Getting paid for your work should not hinge on them making the sale. That's called spec work.

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on May 6, 2008 at 3:49:36 am

I agree with Jason, and would go further by cautioning you to be very careful here.

From what you've described, they want YOU to take on all of the risk (i.e. the time investment of design/filming) and IF they sell the project (is this a spec project then? if so, RUN FOREST RUN) they will share the "profits" with you. Right off the bat, the magic question is "what profits?" They could come back and tell you that after expenses, overhead, limos/cocaine/pimpsuits and that trip to Vegas to "sell" the job the profit was $1.50. Without a firm agreement that spells out the costs of the job, the anticipated sale price and your cut of resulting profit, you are risking an awful lot.

Even without the risks above, this sounds like a spec project trying to get free/cheap services out of you. Bear in mind that spec projects very rarely get picked up, and even then they aren't going to pay what they would have to an agency to produce a real spot for them.

Worry less about answering THEIR questions right, and start asking some of your own, that's my advice.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on May 6, 2008 at 3:03:25 pm

Have they also told you that if you give'em a good deal on this one there would be great deals for you down the road?

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 6, 2008 at 3:08:34 pm

[Brendan Coots] "They could come back and tell you that after expenses, overhead, limos/cocaine/pimpsuits and that trip to Vegas to "sell" the job the profit was $1.50."

That is highly unlikely, Brendan. ;o)

You will likely owe them money for the cocaine, and the dry cleaner will come after you for the bill to clean the pimp suits from all the expensive wine spilled on it when the hookers climbed into the guy's lap.

As Brendan reminded us, RUN FOREST RUN.

Oh, and don't look back.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on May 7, 2008 at 11:55:44 am

Thanks so much you guys. I am usually glutton for punishment and hearing from you affirms what I was thinking in my head. But I feel it is better to run it pass you all then to just go on the fly!

Thanks

Chuck
Obernesser Productions
http://www.obernesserproductions.com

Return to posts index

Brett Frame
on May 7, 2008 at 3:53:43 pm

I haven't had any experience on the level of dealing with national stuff but I agree with what I have read. On a local level, I have never had one person who said "Do this on the cheap and there will be more work to come" ever pan out. They never come back around or their ideas never work and their spec jobs fall apart. I stay away from jobs that promise more work in the future for a cut rate right now.

I don't know if this is helpful but I have had questions answered here and I would like to give back when I can.

Thanks,
Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]