BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What are Hourly Rates in D.C. Area?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Hockman
What are Hourly Rates in D.C. Area?
on Apr 28, 2008 at 2:37:27 pm

THinking about starting my own company within the year. WOndering what the average hourly rate is for motion graphics in the D.C. area.

Thanks.

Motion Graphics Artist and Non-Linear Editor
Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: What are Hourly Rates in D.C. Area?
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:08:46 am

The hourly rate Elliot Spitzer paid in D.C. was about $477 per hour. I doubt you could get that for editing though.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:28:27 am

Bad David! Bad David! LOL :P

Depending on your experience you can earn between $60-$280 an hour. I know it's a wide gap but it really depends on your clientele.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:44:17 am

[Emre Tufekci] "Bad David! Bad David! LOL :P"

I just can't help myself sometimes... There's a latent commedian inside me just waiting for a straightman like Milton to give me perfect setup.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:28:40 am

I charge $150 an hour outside the beltway. $500 an hour if I have to sit through DC traffic.

Seriously. The rates are as varied as anywhere else in the country but the high cost of living in DC might make it a bit higher. I live 2 hours outside of DC where the cost of living is very low so I charge accordingly. Competition is fierce which is why I like being a big fish in a small pond. Washington is one rat race I'd rather not have to run.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:32:09 pm

Where are you providing most of your services? Where is 2 hours outside of d.c.?

I'm new to all this and reading a few books on how to set up a shop. My main strength is motion graphics and I figure I could provide that type of service off the gate instead of having to schedule video shoots and such.

i didn't know if peopel charged more for motion graphics compared to straight editing.

Software expertise include: After Effects, Avid Xpress Pro, Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio Pro, Photoshop, and more.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Apr 29, 2008 at 9:21:42 pm

[Milton Hockman] "Where are you providing most of your services? Where is 2 hours outside of d.c.?

I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD. My work takes me all over the Mid Atlantic.

I'm new to all this and reading a few books on how to set up a shop. My main strength is motion graphics and I figure I could provide that type of service off the gate instead of having to schedule video shoots and such.

i didn't know if peopel charged more for motion graphics compared to straight editing"

People charge more for quality. In other words, a skilled and respected editor will make more than a mediocre motion graphics guy. That being said, excellent motion graphics designers are in high demand and command top dollar. I myself am not that great at motion graphics and usually hire freelancers if the job exceeds my skill level. And I must say, finding excellent motion artists at a reasonable price is not easy. So if your work rocks and you do open up shop in Washington, shoot me an email.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Milton Hockman
on Apr 30, 2008 at 5:59:48 pm

I have an online portfolio. Check it out at http://www.stephenhockman.com.

Let me know what you think.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on May 1, 2008 at 11:39:12 am

To give you a reference,here is a freind of mine from LA who charges $100-$150 an hour for motion graphics.

http://www.digitalspatula.com

His website is really out dated beacuse he is so busy. The samples are about 2-3 years old.

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avid Media Composer HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe Premium CS3.Gspeed ES.Steadicam Clipper 2 OP/Owner.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]