BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

New website up

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JenkinsNew website up
by on Apr 25, 2008 at 6:37:02 am

I just launched my new website! Flowmotion Media

I know it's a little shy on content now, but let me know if anything jumps out as "bad". Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: New website up
by on Apr 25, 2008 at 12:42:14 pm

diggin the vibe a lot, Jasson.
there are a few lil things like that finger not cursing over certain linkage and perhaps the mention of cinematography services followed by what video gear you have (do you offer film services?) but it's a real clean, easily surfed site, man.

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: New website up
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:31:51 am

Thanks Grinner. No film services... I'm a child of the digital age. I wouldn't even be in this business if it weren't for the VX-1000!

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: New website up
by on Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19:07 pm

Looks very nice - clean, simple, stylish.

Just double check it with javascript / flash turned off for that last 1%.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:32:43 am

Thanks Abraham, I'll check that out.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: New website up
by on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:05:43 am

Very nicely done, definitely nothing bad, all good. Love the retro feel of it.

Just one comment. I don't know anyone who puts up a Rate Card anymore. Too easy for other folks to undercut your rates if they know what they are. I would just suggest a Services page where you list what your services are and then "Contact us for rates" or something like that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: New website up
by on Apr 26, 2008 at 12:55:56 pm

[walter biscardi] "I don't know anyone who puts up a Rate Card anymore."

I agree fully with Walter. (Big surprise, there.)

I don't know your market, so I can only guess, but your quoted rates seem low for the quality of your work. So take down the rates and start bumping up the new clients.

Nice site and even better art direction on the retro look and feel.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:45:00 am

Thanks Nick. I designed the site in Photoshop and had Matt Fordham from revolver creative code all the flash functionality. What you don't know is that these "low" prices are double the rate I've been charging up until this year!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:37:55 am

Thanks Walter. I put my rates up because I always hate it when a site says "call for price". When I'm shopping around I want the info and I want it now!

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: New website up
by on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:30:03 am

Great! Love it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: New website up
by on Apr 26, 2008 at 7:00:54 pm

Website looks great.

I'd agree... lose the rate card (which is indeed way too low based on your ability... unless that is just what your particular market will bear).

I know you didn't ask for any spot critique, but I can't resist one... the "Luxury Granite" spot looks good enough that I would consider re-dubbing a better narrator than the original budget could afford, just for demo. It could go either way, someone voice-of-Goddy (such as Don LaFonatine, Andy Geller, Ashton Smith) or someone sweet and emotive (such as Peter Thomas, George DelHoyo). Some of those guys would actually do something like that pretty dirt cheap if it was just for demo (not broadcast)... and you'd have a great big-shot sounding spot.

All looks excellent....

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: New website up
by on Apr 27, 2008 at 2:38:06 am

Wow....I disagree with others about posting rates for a couple reasons. First, Honolulu was where I got started in production. Every post house posted their rates and we all sent rate cards to agencies. This created a somewhat level playing field. Second, it was infinitely convenient for agency producers to simply refer to a rate card to put together a proposal.

Rates can be a way to quantify your business. You are being honest and forthcoming about your rates. Your rates are almost exactly what they are here in small town Madison WI, but we don't all know your specific business model and might be just fine for what you are doing.

We are one of the only post houses in Madison to list our rates. We are starting a trend. Already producers have expressed their appreciation for having a convenient place to find current rates. We are priced pretty much at "market value." Soon, as we formally roll out duplication services, we will post those rates as well.

If you have always operated in a market where rates were not usually posted, you will probably fall on that side of the issue. But where I'm from I believe in providing more context and information on our site rather than fluff. Plenty of fluff on post house sites. Give me something real.

Your rates are real.

Wired coined a phrase last year called "radical transparency" and it basically means you cannot hide anything from your clients these days. I agree, so why not put it out there.

What if one of your clients was networking at an event and heard of your company and asked someone what they thought your rates were...and they guessed market rate for your market. but what if in fact you were 25% cheaper, even 15% cheaper. Wouldn't you rather have the conversation go like this..."why don't you visit his site...they are posted there."

I would.

Don't take down the rate sheet just because a few old codgers haven't heard of "radical transparency" yet.

You obviously have.

Nice site.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 4:07:03 am

Thanks so much for posting, Rich. From what I've heard from both "sides", the reasons for having a rate sheet online seem better than the reasons for not. I really appreciate and value having all this feedback from professionals I respect.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:57:59 am

Thanks Todd. James Earl Jones' agent claimed he was on vacation and would be unavailable for weeks. In desperation I VOed the spot myself and dropped the pitch down a bit. Not quite the same...

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2008 at 3:45:51 am

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: New website up
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 4:38:20 am

There's a substantial amount of feedback here on the content, pretty much all of which I agree with. It really is a great design and feel. On the technical side, I have no clue what your experience level is with web design, if you created the site yourself or hired someone etc. but I have a few thoughts.

1. Having an all-Flash site is cool, but not ideal for getting new business. Your web site can be a powerful lead generation tool but only if those leads can actually find your site. Search engines won't index your site properly when it's purely Flash, and has no actual text rich with keywords like "video production" etc. I know the big studios and agencies have all-Flash sites, but that's because they are known brands, so they have little need to show up in search results. Which they don't - do some test Google searches and see who comes up on top. YOUR competitors.

2. While most of the free world has Flash installed, there is one crucial group that often doesn't - Corporate users. Many IT depts. strictly lock off their employee's ability to install programs, especially things like Flash that are arguably only useful for entertainment AKA wasting the company's money. IN ADDITION, since you are using the Javascript method of calling your Flash document (which is definitely the correct way) you are also losing everyone who has javascript disabled. Again, IT depts can be heavy handed in this regard, because it limits the number of viruses and other nasty crashes etc. they have to clean up. So while this group may be a small percentage of web users overall, in this B2B industry they make up a potentially huge portion of your target market.

3. Your site has no META tags aside from the Title tag. Even worse, since the site is all Flash it is basically just one single HTML page and that's it. This means that, to the search engines, the only text available from your entire site is the single line of text in your title - "Flowmotion Media | Seattle WA | Video Production." This is so little information that you won't ever show up for searches outside of the words "flowmotion media" and even then only because that's the URL of the site ( so you get a little boost there.

4. Since you have no "Description" META tag, a Google search for Flowmotion Media returned your site, but the description just says "setstats." That's a little odd to say the least, and may turn off potential visitors especially when all the other listings next to yours have full, clear descriptions.

So what the hell am I driving at here? While you can't be expected to abandon that beautiful Flash site to solve these issues, there are some things you could do. This should include putting in good Title and Description META tags no matter what. Going a step further, you would benefit greatly from creating a second version of the site that is purely HTML and uses individual pages for each section with real text. By simply adding an html link to this second version at the bottom of your current home page, people without Flash have somewhere to go and Search Engines have information to crawl through.

Just my 2cents.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:58:49 pm

Your technical review is much appreciated and is worth far more than 2 cents. While I designed the site in Photoshop, I had someone else do the Flash development. He is waiting for me to provide him with a description and keywords so he can add in those Meta tags. After reading your post, I won't put it off any longer! I'll also discuss with him the possibility of an html version. Thanks for your clear and concise post. It was most helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved