BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Offline asset management

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mindy HiltOffline asset management
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 10:14:54 pm

Sorry to post this here, but not really sure where else.
I need a way to find files that are offline on various external harddrives. I used to have Extensis Portfolio at another facility, but that was years ago. I'm wondering if there is a simple (and cheaper) software for this. Does Adobe Bridge do it? Can spotlight catalog disks that are offline?

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Offline asset management
by on Apr 24, 2008 at 5:33:01 pm

Bridge can catalog volumes that are later taken offline, but I'm not sure how it handles browsing of the cached offline files.

From the sound of things, Final Cut Server will also do what you're looking for.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Offline asset management
by on Apr 24, 2008 at 8:10:31 pm

about 5 years ago we bought a 2 TB server (big for 5 years ago) thinking we would be all set. However we kept filling drives, so we wound up having closer to 4 TB, meaning only half was online at any time.
As it turned out, we did not actually need instant access to most of what we were archiving, so we switched to swappable SATA external drives, which we now have close to 100 of in various desk drawers.
So now each man is an island. Each person keeps track of what is on what drive, using either an Excel document or lined paper. One has to be good about keeping these lists updated.
For assets we use more often, like graphics, music files and stock photos, we keep these in redundant locations around the network.
I guess it depends upon your business - for broadcast work you probably want more available online, same for episodic work.

Return to posts index

Bob WoodheadRe: Offline asset management
by on Apr 26, 2008 at 9:57:46 am

If you're on a Mac, I strongly recommend Disk Tracker. Cheap, VERy fast, Boolean searching, multiple search parameters, etc etc etc. If I can't find what I want in under 15 seconds, I ain't got it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved