BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Freelance Work

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gursimran DhillonFreelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 1:18:53 am

Well i was kind of hoping someone can tell me what is a good place to get freelance video production and editing jobs, I am in canada and it's a bit of a tough shove to get your way into this field, so i'm curious if anyone here has successfully obtained work as a freelancer and continue to do so to pay the bills.

G.S. Dhillon

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Freelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 1:31:43 am

Most of the people on these forums are freelancers in one shape or another. You have to build trust in people and build a name for yourself as a good and reliable worker.

If you have no experience in the industry, look in internships with various production companies. If you do have experience, start hammering the production companies to see if they work with freelancers at all.

I started out in a broadcast network, then went corporate and then just took a leap of faith that I had built up enough of a name and reputation in this town to make it worthwhile to go freelance.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

jon agnewRe: Freelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 2:54:56 am

Walter, as usual, is absolutely right. If you don't have experience, try to get a job with a production company before you try freelancing. Like you said, its hard to shove your way into the business, and without solid experience you're starting at a big disadvantage.

If you DO have some experience under your belt, then, in my opinion, there is no way to truly make it OTHER than shoving your way in. There are a million people with HDV cameras and Final Cut fighting tooth and nail for work...if you want a scrap, you have to scrap to get it. There are job boards (like the one here at the COW,, craigslist, etc) where you can find some work here and there, but if you rely solely on the web, you'll starve more often than you'll eat. Hit the streets and learn to convince yourself that, in sales, "no means maybe." Freelancing is tough because, really, you have two jobs...production and sales. There is no show without the business.

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: Freelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 3:07:04 am

I know a couple of freelancers who occasionally get work via It's free to sign up.

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

Gursimran DhillonRe: Freelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 3:51:58 am

Well I do have some experience and you guys are totally right about the way you have to go about in this business, i was hoping to hear something else like "oh yeah check out this site tons of work there" LOL but that is true i do have to just jump in and get right into it and try and hope for the best. I do have a production company, and we are getting our first feature film on the go, but it's a independent feature, and we all know how tough that is. I would just like to get out of the army and get some work, but i guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Thanks guys.
G.S. Dhillon

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Freelance Work
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 2:59:17 pm

There are new jobs being added daily to the COW's JOBS forums. (We have both one for higher pay and lower/no pay jobs, as well as one for jobs wanted.) You will find them in the list of forums, in the "COW Related" section at the front of the list.

The jobs service is free.

We also added a "Services Offered" area to the COW where you can sign up your company -- for free -- to be listed in the categories that you wish to be listed in. You will find the services area listed in the orange links bar at the top of the screen.

While they are not guarantees that you will find work through them, many people here do and so they are worth taking the time to use. Free is good and we are now reaching the 800,000 unique monthly user mark and so getting access to this much traffic at no cost is a good thing.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved