BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

music licensing: producer or production company as the Licensee?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tyler smith
music licensing: producer or production company as the Licensee?
on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:43:26 am

I'm getting ready to send off my licenses to musicians featured in my film's soundtrack. For the licensee should I put my name, or my production company?

Also, if i'm licensing 2 tracks from one artist (whom owns all rights, publishing included) can 2 songs be included on the same license?

best,

t

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: music licensing: producer or production company as the Licensee?
on Apr 16, 2008 at 4:11:48 am

[tyler smith] "For the licensee should I put my name, or my production company?"

Who owns the film and the copyright, you or your company? Use that one, because a distributor would most likely want to see that the music license holder and onwer of the film are the same entity.

[tyler smith] "can 2 songs be included on the same license?"

Probably not an issue. I say save a tree and put both on the same license.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

tyler smith
on Apr 16, 2008 at 5:27:57 am

thanks for the info.

The copyright will be held by my production company. I had releases for my principals(surf video) sign releases granting me the rights...which are transferrable. All crew deal memos will be under my prod. co. as well.

Aside from copyrighting my film, what else needs to be done to ensure that my company "owns" the film?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 16, 2008 at 6:50:44 am

[tyler smith] "Aside from copyrighting my film, what else needs to be done to ensure that my company "owns" the film?"

That about does it. You could also memorialize your personal interest/investment in writing just in case your comapny and you somehow become separated over time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]