BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

HD Commercial

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yehuda BrandrissHD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:03:37 pm

I am looking for a list of advertisers who have recently produced and aired Commercials in HD, Any suggestions on where I can find this kind of information?

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: HD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:30:07 pm

watching some HD programming is prolly the most accurate and quickest research you could do.
I know of no list provided. Thats a networks' cliebtele so contact info would be coveted. It's as easy as watchin and cold-callin', though.

Return to posts index

Yehuda BrandrissRe: HD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:53:17 pm

That may be easy enough when you are in the U.S. But outside the U.S. (at least where I am) its not as simple.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: HD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:53:36 pm

I agree with Grinner... I know of no comprehensive "list" of HD commercials anywhere. Best bet would be to plop down on the sofa with a pad and pencil in hand.

It is interesting to watch for HD commercials though... and the mix that you will see during network commercial breaks. Some are full-screen HD with a letterboxed version running simultaniously on the NTSC channel, some are HD but pillerboxed with a full-screen version running on NTSC, some are full-screen HD but with a side-cropped version running on NTSC, some are full-screen HD but obviously upconverted from letterboxed NTSC, some are pillerboxed HD but upconverted from full-screen NTSC... etc, etc.

The most wacky thing to see is an NTSC-produced commercial airing on HD, but where the original standard-def spot was letterboxed, yet they still show the full frame (not cropping for 16:9). There you get letterboxing nested inside of pillerboxing... with the thick black bars both on top/bottom and sides of the spot. Lots of wasted screen real estate there.

It's pretty wild.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: HD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:09:09 pm

Maybe you can find something out on

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: HD Commercial
by on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:57:48 pm

You could do a search for "Super Bowl TV commercials." Most are going to have been shot on 35mm film and then transfered to HD for airing. Some will have been shot, edited and aired on HD.

Bruce Bennett
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved