BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Recommendations for version control for graphics/media?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Scott
Recommendations for version control for graphics/media?
on Apr 1, 2008 at 9:19:12 pm

We are growing to the point where it's getting cumbersome having to pass around files and deal with clever naming conventions, so we're looking for a version control system that can handle all kinds of media files.

We use Subversion for code, but it's not good for graphics etc.

We have Version Cue, but it seems rather limited. There has to be something better out there.

Any recommendations out there? Googling is proving to be not that helpful, at least so far.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: Recommendations for version control for graphics/media?
on Apr 2, 2008 at 2:42:13 am

What's your budget? Alien Brain might be a good option depending on how large your facility is.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 2, 2008 at 6:47:27 pm

Laura, not sure what you are doing, but I may have seen a great answer to your question. You may want to try an After Effects forum.

I found it in a non COW AE forum -- can't recall where. The writer was running a big Hollywood fix-it and special effects shop, and told how he created a convention to deal with the myriad of filenames by all of the departments in his studio. It was VERY disciplined, and the names were pretty long.

It was so thorough that you could have shuffled all of the files in his shop, put them back together again, and they would land in the exact same place every time.

I wish I could recall the person's name for you.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Matt Hall
on Apr 3, 2008 at 1:38:28 pm

There's a new work flow management product coming out called Flow that looks pretty promising:

http://gridironsoftware.com/Flow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]