BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Expanding business into new cities

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BondExpanding business into new cities
by on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:04:54 pm

I have been producing a local talent show contest (recorded live) for a client. They are looking to expand into different markets and have asked for a proposal from my company to coordinate this. The new markets are out of state, so me being on location to produce is not really an option.

I know what my costs are to produce this locally, and I think I know how to poke around enough to find going rates for crews in different cities. My question is, is there a standard rate for the service I am providing of coordinating the shoots in these new markets? Should I estimate how long it will take me and bill hourly or should I just add a certain % on top of the production costs?

Also- any other advice beyond the question above would be very welcome. Any pitfalls I should be looking out for while coordinating shoots in different cities?

This would be a great step for my company and I want to present myself as professionally as possible. I really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Expanding business into new cities
by on Mar 29, 2008 at 12:51:09 pm

If you are using crews in other cities, hire reputable ones. Post an ad here on the COW for example. I tend to hire crews with news magazine credentials (dateline, 60 minutes etc) because I know they have pretty high standards. I have hired less experienced folks and the results speak for themselves.

When asked by a client, i usually quote $1000 - $2000 for a day rate in most major cities. This gets you a shooter and a sound person with camera, lights and mics.

So if you shoot your talent show with 3 cameras, no live switching, you can ballpark the cost of hiring 3 shooters plus audio and a grip.

Your fee should be 25% of the total. Plus travel - it is a good idea to be on location for something you are being paid to produce. But don't try to produce and be one of the shooters to try to same money.

Without knowing your other logistics, staging, teleprompter, floor manager etc it is hard to give more advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved