BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Charing for Travel Time

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Frechette
Charing for Travel Time
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:08:49 am

Hello All,

I have shot 2 events for a company on the East Coast, both within driving distance, and they have been very happy with the results. Now they want me to travel to Michigan shoot a day's event, with another possible 3 day shoot in Texas.

Gathering opinions on what you would charge for the actual travel days besides the hotel stay, meals, etc.

Thanks

Tim

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Charing for Travel Time
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:19:26 am

[Tim Frechette] "Gathering opinions on what you would charge for the actual travel days besides the hotel stay, meals, etc."

The standard is 1/2 your day rate. So if you charge $600/day for your services, you charge $300/day for travel days.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Tim Frechette
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:12:46 am

Thank you Walter.

Another follow up question for everyone. If my equipment is stolen in transit by the airlines who pays? Do you have the written in your contract?

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:23:28 am

You should really have your own business insurance which should cover things like this.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:40:17 am

[Tim Frechette] "If my equipment is stolen in transit by the airlines who pays? Do you have the written in your contract?"

Your insurance company. You do have insurance, including liability and travel insurance, on all your gear, right?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Insurance
on Mar 27, 2008 at 5:17:58 am

ALL Airlines have a clause when you buy your ticket that says that they are NOT RESPONSIBLE for camera gear and accessories. You can find that info on-line on the airline's websites.

Our insurance covers all of our gear when in transit by a professional carrier. This includes FedEx and the others.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:46:35 am

Loss or theft of gear is never mentioned in our contracts... the producer is responsible for his stuff; I've never heard of a producer attempting to stick a client for stolen gear (unless for some reason the client somehow facilitated the theft).

Good luck with the airlines... they have surprisingly limited liability when it comes to losing stuff. You would likely never get back anywhere near the actual value of expensive equipment that was lost or damaged.

To that end, we almost never fly with our gear unless we absolutely have to. We almost always FedEx everything. We have a number of cases that are dedicated just for shipping our stuff (and of course insure everything out the wazoo). We FedEx it "hold for pickup" to our shooting destination, get off the plane, then go to the FedEx office and pick it up. It can be pricey, but I have never even once had a problem with gear being delayed, go missing, or finding something broken... which is something I can not say about the airlines.

If you can arrange your shooting schedules so that you do not have a local shoot immediately prior to (or right after) your distant location shoot, you can FedEx 2-day or 3-day and save a lot of shipping costs as well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:37:03 am

As Walter mentioned, a hald day rate plus expenses is the morm. I usually do not do this though.
I am a one man band with overhead. I charge no different for digitizing, editing, animation, sound design or shooting. To me, travel is no different. I charge full rate as a way of limiting my travel time.
That said, I am all about the package rate when I travel. It's usually a day or two of shooting, a day or two of travel, and a few days of post. If I see a 6k budget, I can somtimes call that 5k knowing a chunk of that is sleepin' on a plane.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 27, 2008 at 5:14:18 am

We charge 1/2 of a day's labor. If a person's day rate is $500 plus gear, we charge $250 for that person's time.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:00:08 pm

Hi Steve:

Who is your policy with? Have you ever had a claim? How was their service? How much coverage and at what approximate cost? I used to have a producer's policy that covered everything, including E&O, rental, etc. but it went to about $12,000.00 per year so I dropped it as it was too expensive.

I typically fly with only about $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 worth of gear, just tryng to figure out the most economical way to go. I also have about $250,000.00 worth of gear total at my office so I should get a policy that covers everything, burglary, theft, accidents, etc.

Thanks for any tips.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:21:22 pm

We have Hartford for our basic company insurance and Firemen's fund for our rental company. We have $500k in equipment covered and our policies cost around $6k per year with a $2500 deductible.

A lower deductible was a lot more money.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Tim Frechette
on Mar 27, 2008 at 12:28:41 pm

Thanks for all of the replies.

I do have my own business insurance which covers everything mentioned. I didn't want to leave any stone unturned regarding stolen property.

The half day rate seems fair.

When the client pays do you fly coach or first class?

Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 27, 2008 at 12:47:31 pm

[Tim Frechette] "When the client pays do you fly coach or first class?"

Coach. Never take advantage of a client. If they offer first class, then take that, but always take coach.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:09:25 pm

80% of our shoots are out of driving distance. We always travel with our gear - always carry camera, tapes and batteries on the plane as carry on. Check as little as possible - you can rent a light kit in most large cities.

We have all had occasion to not get our checked gear when we land, so we leave enough time in advance of shoot to give airline time to find our stuff. If we have a 6am call time, we should fly out as early as possible the previous day.
TWA lost our heavy duty luggage cart which we never got back. It must be useful to whoever absconded with it.

Come to think of it Panasonic once lost my hard shell camera case when I shipped them the camera for service - got the camera back in a cardboard box with foam peanuts - maybe Panasonic has hired baggage handlers to run their shipping and receiving department!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:52:54 pm

I've read that it is very common for a theft from your baggage at the airport to be covered-up by deliberately misrouting your bag, so that by the time it is recovered and returned, the trail is too muddled to know at what point something was taken out.

Return to posts index

John Baumchen
on Mar 28, 2008 at 9:20:11 pm

Interseting.

If thieves can get by security to take things out of your bag, who else can slip through the security system to put someting IN your bag, on the plane? In a car, going to Maine.

Can you say increased taxes for 'better' security?

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 29, 2008 at 6:04:03 am

Uh, John. The airport personnel are the thieves, not someone sneaking by them. This has been covered on a number of TV programs and the prosecutions have made national news.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 29, 2008 at 11:46:17 am

[Steve Wargo] "Uh, John. The airport personnel are the thieves, not someone sneaking by them. This has been covered on a number of TV programs and the prosecutions have made national news."

Yeah, a buddy of mine had a 24" computer monitor stolen from checked in luggage. It obviously happened before the plane left the ground because he released the pressure valve in the case before opening it and the monitor was gone. so it was taken by someone in baggage handling.

He was never reimbursed for that by the airline.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]