BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Equipment Management

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon agnewEquipment Management
by on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:25:16 pm

I have recently been hired to create and implement a new equipment/inventory organization system for a mid-sized production house specializing in ENG/Reality programming. They own quite a bit of gear (cameras, audio, lighting, etc) that is constantly going out on jobs. I want to find a barcode tracking system that will allow me to create several customizable databases and lists that will sync with a USB or Bluetooth barcode scanner, allowing me to know what gear is in/out, due back, in need of repair, etc. Has anyone had any experience with similar set-ups? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, consummate professionals.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Equipment Management
by on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:34:19 am

Filemaker Pro as the database component is definitely the way to go here. You can use a system like Intelliscanner ( to scan barcodes right into the database and create/edit/search records.

I have seen this particular system in use at three post houses for tape archiving, so I know it's reliable. It helps that Filemaker Pro is really easy to get going if you have any database experience, and if not, FMP developers are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

jon agnewRe: Equipment Management
by on Mar 29, 2008 at 1:31:22 am

Thanks, Brendan. Looking into FMP I see its definitely the right choice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved