BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

blu-ray?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne Desjardins
blu-ray?
on Mar 23, 2008 at 3:11:05 am

Is there no blu-ray forum? Pertaining to my thread below about purchasing a dvd duplicator, I'd also like to discuss blu-ray options. I'll be going to NAB next month to check out new product, but would sure like to start a dialog about it.

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: blu-ray?
on Mar 23, 2008 at 12:16:13 pm

In the FCP forum we've discussed this quite a bit and I'm sure it's been discussed in the Adobe Encore forum quite a bit.

We own Adobe Encore for authoring, a FastMac BluRay burner for burning and a Panasonic Dual BluRay burner for duplication. We've done four BluRay titles so far with 5 more in the queue.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 23, 2008 at 3:36:28 pm

We have a DVD Authoring forum where many users lurk and/or interact that use and create Blu-ray Disc.

Try that forum, it's in the list of forums here at the COW.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:01:59 pm

I was hoping to talk about thoughts of when/if blu-ray is going to take over the dvd market. I own a dvd label and the market seems to be grinding to a halt because no one knows which way to go.

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Mar 25, 2008 at 1:21:45 am

It really comes down to costs. BD is very expensive for independent content owners. Your looking at costs between $5-7 dollars a unit for replication once the AACS licenses are paid. Then factor in the authoring costs on a $40,000 tool set (minimum) and there isn't a whole lot of room to make money. I freelance for a client who charges anywhere from $3000 to $15,000 per title depending on what you want. If you need to keep your MSRP below $30 its hard to make money really. DVD will always be around - theres just too much SD material out there. Wait it out till prices come down.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 25, 2008 at 1:31:46 am

[Eric Pautsch] "Then factor in the authoring costs on a $40,000 tool set (minimum) and there isn't a whole lot of room to make money."

$40,000? $1,500 for Adobe CS3 and $575 for a BluRay burner from FastMac. That's what we use and in speaking to a commercial replication house, we can send one of our BluRays to them for making the gold master.

We purchased our own duplicator unit so we can avoid the high cost associated with short runs. Now that BluRay is the winner of the 'war' I'm hopeful that the replication and licensing fees will drop.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 25, 2008 at 3:24:07 am

See? This is why I wanted to open a discussion! I do fairly short runs now of SD, 500 to 1,000. That's why I'm getting a duplicator set up to do my own runs. What are the licensing fees for BluRay? And Walter, if you are doing your own duplication, how many discs do you duplicate on your equipment?

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 25, 2008 at 4:53:24 am

[Lynne Desjardins] "See? This is why I wanted to open a discussion!"

And this thread would likely be much longer were it held in the forum that actually dealt with the subject matter you wanted to learn about. There are MANY users in the DVD Authoring forum that I am sure have comments and feedback on the matter.

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net site administrator

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 25, 2008 at 5:46:35 am

I'm was referring to replication. Duplicating is burning discs - 2 very different processes and formats. BD-Rs run about 15-20 bucks a pop so duplicating 1000 wouldn't make much sense. Blu Print or Scenarist are your only choices at this point if you plan to replicate or distribute and get any form of good compatibility - remember playback of BD-R or BD-RE media is optional for player manufacturers. I would love to talk with the replicator who accepts a BD-R from Encore to press BD-ROM discs...no offense Walter. :)

Prosumer apps like Encore or DVDit Pro are good for client one offs or very small distribution runs but I wouldn't distributing 1000 discs with them...unless you like unhappy customers complaining the disc you sold them won't play. DVDitPro has an option to output a CMF images but it is inoperable to say the least. An AACS license cost about 3K set up plus 1K per title

I agree though...this is better suited for the authoring forums

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 25, 2008 at 6:03:58 am

I'll try again in the dvd authoring forum, although my previous post there regarding dvd duplicating equipment got no replies, hence I returned here, where I at least got some helpful responses.

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 25, 2008 at 12:48:29 pm

[eric pautsch] "Prosumer apps like Encore or DVDit Pro are good for client one offs or very small distribution runs but I wouldn't distributing 1000 discs with them...unless you like unhappy customers complaining the disc you sold them won't play."

Why won't they play? All the BluRay burners have been updated to play BluRay discs. We haven't had a single issue with a person not being able to play a blu ray disc.

Also, I've noticed that EVERY single BluRay disc I have purchased at a store comes with a written warning that the disc might not play in my machine. This is a commercially purchased disc. So even the "commercial" discs might not work all the time.

Also, I would not all Encore a "prosumer" app. It's a professional app used by many on both DVD and BluRay titles.

[eric pautsch] "I would love to talk with the replicator who accepts a BD-R from Encore to press BD-ROM discs...no offense Walter. :)"

They will not be pressing the discs from those, they will be creating the gold master from those. I believe that's what I said in my original post.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Mar 25, 2008 at 4:14:09 pm

Hmmm...just telling you what I know from experience. I eat & sleep BD everyday and can confirm my Sharp player won't play my test discs - even with the current updates. :) Also that price quote you received is incredibly high. There are very few plants that do BD replication so most likely you'll be dealing with a broker...beware :)

Could you list the name of that replicator?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 25, 2008 at 7:00:25 pm

[eric pautsch] "Could you list the name of that replicator?"

I'll go back through our records and see if I can locate it. That was back in Sept / Oct / Nov of last year. Not exactly sure when but I know we took delivery of the BluRay software / burners in December so it was before that. When I find it I'll post it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 25, 2008 at 12:43:51 pm

[Lynne Desjardins] "What are the licensing fees for BluRay?"

When we priced out a BluRay run near the end of last year we were told it would be approx. $4,500 for the Gold Master and approx. $5,500 for the licensing AND our title would have to be approved by the "blu ray commission" or whatever they call themselves. Apparently you could not just run any BluRay title, it had to be approved first.

[Lynne Desjardins] "And Walter, if you are doing your own duplication, how many discs do you duplicate on your equipment?"

We can do two at a time, easily 100 per day.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]