BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

dvd duplicating equipment

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne Desjardins
dvd duplicating equipment
on Mar 20, 2008 at 10:45:23 pm

I'm looking into buying a dvd duplication system, not sure which forum to post in. Any suggestions? Here?

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
Re: dvd duplicating equipment
on Mar 21, 2008 at 3:33:38 am

I'd suggest the DVD Authoring forum. I can also say that I just bought an Octave Copymaster II 7 a couple of months ago, after using that brand for several years at the last facility where I worked. The new one has also been wonderful.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 21, 2008 at 5:51:41 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a ReflexAuto8 which looks exactly like the copymaster II. Question: does the copymaster II burn DVD-9's?

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on Mar 21, 2008 at 5:00:53 pm

I've been very happy with our Bravo XR. It's more pricy than some models on the market, but it's simple, straightforward, and very durriable. The auto printing after copying is also a great feature. The first DVD drive in it lasted about 3-4 years, with at least 20,000+ CDS & DVD's passing through it. We sent it back for a non-warrenty repair and it was quick & painless and resonable. Primera customer service is great too.

Tim Robinson
tim@erobinsons.com
Pride-Mobility-Products
Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
I need to duplicate dvd-9
on Mar 21, 2008 at 8:47:09 pm

Thanks for the info. As stated in the title, I need to duplicate dvd-9's, and I can't find specifications on either of the systems mentioned here.

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
Re: I need to duplicate dvd-9
on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:35:38 pm

Yes, the Copymaster II supports all currently available DVD media including Double/Dual layer DVD9.

By the way, I actually use a Bravo Auto Printer in addition to the Copymaster II. I got a deal when I bought both of them together.

The Bravo Autoprinter has been improved over the past few years and is much better than the old one we had. The old one lost the suction capability that it needed to grab the disks, but the new robotics system doesn't grab them the same way.

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 22, 2008 at 2:36:58 am

Thanks so much. Now, to be a further pest, do you know of any sites where I can compare reviews of these and other products? There is a big price difference between the similar DiscMaker and Octave equipment. .

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
Bravo Auto Printer
on Mar 22, 2008 at 6:32:28 am

Hi Tim, if you happen to check here again, I was looking at getting a Bravo Auto Printer along with the duplicator package. How many discs per minute does it print approximately? I'm going to be doing runs from 400 up to 1,000. Thanks!

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Bravo Auto Printer
on Mar 22, 2008 at 8:49:48 am

[Lynne Desjardins] "Hi Tim, if you happen to check here again, I was looking at getting a Bravo Auto Printer along with the duplicator package. How many discs per minute does it print approximately? I'm going to be doing runs from 400 up to 1,000. Thanks!"

This product is complete crap in my opinion. The tech support from Primera is even worse.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/330

Now we're running in a Mac atmosphere which Primera claimes to fully support, but it doesn't print correctly at all. But even when we switched it to Windows we could not get the system to work reliably. I can tell you that the only way to get it work the best is with a dedicated PC that does nothing but run the unit. We returned it after about two or three weeks.

The DiscMakers Medley is what we replaced it with and it's actually even worse in terms of printing and their tech support was more woeful than Primera's.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/402

The sales folk pulled a great con over us insisting that they kept trying to return out calls but could not reach anyone until the unit was past the point of being returned. We use it for our burning and simple print jobs, but I would stay away from these folks too.

A $200 Epson printer outperforms both of them in terms of printing. Both of them can burn discs, but if you want to get something like this, just get an automatic replicator and find a better printer.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 22, 2008 at 10:25:40 am

Thanks for the heads up Walter. Though I am planning on having a dedicated PC hooked up. I did check your blog, it seems your new printer is problematic too? Any new ideas?

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Mar 22, 2008 at 3:04:56 pm

Opinions vary. For what I do, it works fine. I'm not a salesman for them, so I'm glad you can get a balanced opinion here.

I'm using a PC setup and haven't had a single problem so far. Of course, I tend to use the tower for duplication and have only been using the Bravo II for printing the labels on the discs.

As far as speed goes, the Auto printer isn't that fast. If someone came in and needed fifty copies of a disc, I'd give it about an hour. It really depends on the resolution of your labels though.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 23, 2008 at 12:19:55 pm

[Lynne Desjardins] "Any new ideas?"

I don't have any right now. We use the Medley for things that don't require a high quality print and we use our old Epson printer for high quality printing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on Mar 24, 2008 at 12:41:50 pm

COPY TIME
Lynne, for me I can almost predict when things are done. We have the Bravo XR with the front kiosk tray. So it can hold 50 inside and spit out all 50. Then it needs to be manually reloaded. (I know they make bigger ones).

I can do 50 overnight no problem. In a day... depending on the size, full DVD's... 50 would take about 4-5 hours. CD's... 1-2 (IF FULL!), but most CD's and DVD's I do aren't, so their done pretty quickly.

So a 1,000 DVD's, with manual load delays and overnight printing, would take approx 8 business days M-F... much less if the DVD's aren't full.

But I believe they make faster machines now!

PRIMERA CUSTOMER SERVICE
Personally I've had repair issues in the past year and every time I always got someone on the phone quickly and that same person would follow up and respond often by email to any other questions I had. The DVD drive just wore out after years of use.

COST OF INK
The most costly things with Bravo's is the ink. Since you have to buy THAT ink. I get everything from cdrom2go.com and their catalog has $10 off $100 coupons, so I save every time I reorder. Not sure if there's any on the market that use name brand cartridges.. which could mean savings at staples or with ink refills. I haven't tried ink refilling of these cartridges, but I'd had bad experiences in the past with that (leaks, failures) and since the printer is right above the duplicator and part of the "robot" I don't want to mess the entire machine up.

I of course am not in the market for a new machine since this one works, I'm sure since we bought it years ago (before my time) there are better ones by now.

Just my 2 cents.

Tim Robinson
tim@erobinsons.com
Pride-Mobility-Products
Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on Mar 24, 2008 at 1:06:01 pm

I believe DVD-9 is the defacto "Dual layer" DVD size (since DVD-9 = Single Sided Dual Layer 12cm diam 8.54 GB size.... and DVD-5 (the next size down) is your standard 4.7 single sided, single layer DVD!)

So I would safely assume that if the drive can do dual layer DVD's, DVD-9's fall into that category! You won't typically find DVD compatibility listed this way DVD-9 DVD-5 DVD-2 etc.

FYI DVD-9 is also the standard for PlayStation 2 games!

Here's a wikipedia article that goes into detail...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

Tim Robinson
tim@erobinsons.com
Pride-Mobility-Products
Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

Lynne Desjardins
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:00:27 pm

Thank you for all the info. I'm in such a quandary now because I'm anticipating having to do blu-rays in the near future. I might go with strictly the Bravo XR (and Tim, I hope they DO go faster now, I'll check) and wait until after I go to NAB to consider what other duplicator to get. *sigh*

I talked to a friend who has three Bravos and he swears by them, but it sounds like you need three to produce any volume!

Lynne Desjardins

Return to posts index

Tim Robinson
on Mar 25, 2008 at 12:32:43 pm

I know Bravo offers a blu-ray model but I believe the blu-ray side was only 2x and it was expensive. You can always "upgrade" later with the Bravo models by sending it in to Primera when you really need to do blu-ray, by then the drives will hopefully cheaper and the speed faster.

When it comes to MASSIVE CD/DVD runs, I always source it out because it's actually cheaper, faster and less hassle. I use http://www.discmakers.com for that. The color printing of either jackets/cases/covers is also a great benefit over doing the labels yourself.

Either way... Good luck!

Tim Robinson
tim@erobinsons.com
Pride-Mobility-Products
Corporate Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]