BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Edit Suite Art

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim RobinsonEdit Suite Art
by on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:49:21 pm

Hi, I'm Tim Robinson, long time reader, first time poster. I'm the corporate video editor for Pride Mobility Products. We make the Jazzy Powerchair, scooters, lift chairs. Etc.

We have a fairly nice edit suite here, but since I took over two years ago I'm only now starting to get it set up like every other professional editing suite I've ever been in.

My QUESTION is, what type of "Edit Suite Art" do you have in your place?

Right now we have large posters of screen grabs from the animations / videos we've done recently, to show off what "we" (which is more ME since I'm the only one here doing shooting, editing & animations!) can do.

I've seen some edit suites with just random pictures, so I wanted to know from all you "creative" people what drove these decisions?

I can't just have it reflect "my" taste since I work for the company. I also don't want just MORE of the same from what is already in our hallways, posters of our products, trade ads, zzzzz....

I'd love to see photos and/or websites if possible!

Thanks!

Tim Robinson
Corporate Video Editor
Pride Mobility Products

PS our first real "couch" is on its way for delivery to the suite next week. So no more random sized, used office chairs for the reviewers! It also has recliners which will be nice for me before our big trade shows when I litterly live here for a week!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 19, 2008 at 10:46:21 pm

Well everyone has different tastes, I suppose....

Our whole place (not just the suites) is very retro-y and funky....

Most every room in our place has mostly cool/funky Eames-era furniture... some we paid a lot for, some we paid virtually nothing for (vintage Eames lounge chair in almost perfect condition that I got at Goodwill for 10 bucks... probably worth a couple thousand).

In the suite I normally work in, the artwork is large black-and-white prints (one aerial shot of the NY skyline taken in the 1940s, and a nighttime shot of a very cool 50s era diner)...

Adjacent to the client seating area is a gigantic seriograph print of "Palm Springs after Dark" from the artist Josh Agle, who paints under the name "Shag"....

I use to have real theatre seats in this suite (great art deco seats that were rescued from a Hollywood movie palace), but they proved cooler in theory than in practicality... so we ditched them.

Our other main suite also has black and white prints, a big vintage funky Curtis Jere wall sculpture (very "Bewitched"), and a great client couch that we rescued from a thrift store that should have been in Ricky and Lucy's apartment.

Lots of Lava Lamps, etc. too.

But that's all just our (well, mostly my) personality. Your space should reflect who you are, but still professional and workable. If you are going to spend a good deal of your waking life there, it should be a place that you want to hang out in.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 19, 2008 at 11:58:47 pm

I went to Michaels and bought those frames for album art and picked a dozen or so albums that I like, old Pink Floyd, Steve Winwood, Donald Fagen, etc. this way I am not stuck with a single piece of art. Every once in a while I can switch them around.

Clients have commented on them and it's always interesting to say that the album is actually in there!

Works for my suite.

My co-worker bought framed posters from posters.com. Lots of good stuff there too and pretty reasonable.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:19:03 am

After seeing Walter's "professional" Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck edit rooms, I upped the ante and went with velvet Elvis paintings and whooppee cushions for good measure.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:25:28 am

[Christopher Wright] "After seeing Walter's "professional" Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck edit rooms, I upped the ante and went with velvet Elvis paintings and whooppee cushions for good measure."

What?! You mean Wally World (toybox), JungleLand (Indiana Jones), and Rialto (50's Theater)? We don't even own a Donald Duck unless you could the Donald Pez on top of the Coke Machine. :-)

Unfortunately the photos on the website don't do the facility justice and the Rialto Room isn't even up there yet. Just give us another month and we'll be launching the biscardicreative.com 2.0 and you'll really get to see our Mickey Mouse, er, Professional Edit Suites! Geez, we got three of them now! :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Alex HuberRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:47:59 am

Cool! -- I LOVE Shag, have always been a big fan of his work. Great score!

Alex

Return to posts index

Jeremy DoyleRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:40:48 pm

As we have 12 suites which also happen to be our offices, there are no themes per se at our offices.

My suite has family photos, a wall calendar, fish mounts, awards, and thank you's that people have sent.

One guy has an aquarium which I think is pretty darn cool.

Guess that's the kind of stuff you get when you work on outdoors programming.

Return to posts index

Tim RobinsonRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:50:17 pm

I have a huge saltwater at home, but I think having a big glass case of water in this room would be a little nerveracking for me when I'm not here. Plus how to explain the $100k's of damnage to your bosses when there's a slow leak over the weekend?

Return to posts index

Jeremy DoyleRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:08:50 pm

There are several people with fish tanks in our building, but he's the only one in the TV dept. If it leaked there really wouldn't be much to damage where he has it located. I'm sure he'd be very heartbroken with the loss of his thousands of dollars of rare and hard to locate fish however.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 20, 2008 at 10:16:14 pm

I started doing video editing and production in the 80's when the rooms were generally all so expensive it was de rigur to also trick them out with fine furniture and lots of themes and art. My corner office, which is away from the suites, has quite the tiki and polynesian/Hawaiiana thing goin' on in it. "Early Jack Lord" I call it. Also a huge collection of pics of my kids on the walls to remind me what it's really all in service of.

But my tastes for what to do to decorate a ***suite*** have changed over the years. Once upon a time I would welcome any number of little toys, totems, mascots, tchachkies, what-have-you. But nowadays, I'm about having the edit space itself be as neutral and nondistracting as possible. A back wall or corner with some award plaques as a shorthand to say I know my craft might be as far as I would want to go.

If it was always just my own edit room, and I never had clients in it, I might get more wild. Because it's a shared team space, I don't want it to polarize people too much in any one direction, or clash with the others I have to share the room with. Some of their tastes I don't much care for, so if I don't subject them to tolerating my various decorating tastes, neither must I endure their questionable choices. I'd rather all their attention, passive and active, be on the screen. So I like a very subtle, neutral, cozy but non-distracting scheme, and no major color or other art in the room to distort perceptions of the screen. Your basic technical batcave. Like OLD Mission Control at NASA Kennedy: they used to have it super-sterile in there with no non-business related decor or flair of any kind, and not even coffee. It was the chamber and kingdom of steely-eyed Missile Men with astronaut's lives and billions of dollars worth of National prestige in their hands. "This is the Firing Room", the head man would intone with deep seriousness: We launch rockets here".

I DO have drinks and snacks in there, which is blasphemy to some, perhaps many fellow editors. I don't pretend I can function well for long without those:-) And I can have to do lots of long hours on projects at times where I'll have to have lunch and dinner while working, generally alone, with the ipod rocking away if I'm doing graphics and not mixing audio. I don't put the food and drink and candy where it can hurt anything if spilled, but I have to have it there somewhere, preferably on its own table near to hand but off the actual workspace.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 3:51:50 am

Our edit suites at NASA Johnson are pretty neutral with gray SONEX acoustic panels on the walls, but there is an occasional "It Came From Outer Space" or "Stars Wars" framed poster decorating the walls. I think one editor has a small alien encased in a lava lamp. (Actually that might be a office now that I think about it...)

Since most of our edit suites are also offices for the Editors, they each personalize them to fit their own taste. They all keep it professional and pretty understated.

By the way, I don't know how the firing room at KSC is, but I once heard Gene Kranz say that there's probably still an old ham sandwich stuck somewhere in that network of vacuum tubes they used to send messages to each other in the old Apollo Mission Control. (It's the same type of system used at drive through bank tellers for depositing checks and coins.) The room looks pristine in historic film footage, but in the old days, I heard that it stunk like only that unique mixture of food, electronics and stale cigars can give a room.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:30:03 am

[Timothy J. Allen] "The room looks pristine in historic film footage, but in the old days, I heard that it stunk like only that unique mixture of food, electronics and stale cigars can give a room."

Ah, now if you could only come up with a way to do "From Here to the Moon" on Blu-Ray in NASA's new Smell-O-Vision. Woooooo, that would be sweet!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 9:14:00 pm

Hi, my edit suite shares it's space with the equipment room, needless to say it is dominated with equipment. Creating a theme in this techie environment was a challenge. When thinking about what to put up on the walls I got the bright idea to hang my test charts up in such a way as they would look like wall art but still blend with all the gear in racks across from them. I had intended to matt and frame them but since they are expensive and still used, I just velcro'd them to the wall. Hopefully I will replace them with Hi Def charts eventually and can properly frame this set. The photo shows the most prominent grouping, others are singularly located elsewhere. Although clients do take notice I don't recall any specific comments. What does get a lot of comments is the predicta tv on the surface below. This is my clients surface where they can organize their materials they bring along with them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:22:20 pm

Philco Predicta.... nice, Rennie, I'm a big fan.

We have a 1959 Predicta in our lobby, you can barely see it here in this pic on the extreme right side (sorry, small pic from our webstie)...

Does yours still work? Ours works with actually a halfway decent picture... we used to keep a loop of an old Rat Pack movie playing on it, but it gets hot enough to fry eggs on the back after an hour or so, so we don't turn it on much.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:27:00 pm

Cool! it fits very well with your other decorum!

Mine doesn't work and I would like to get it functional someday but I fear it may not happen. I also would like to try the following-

One of the neatest things I saw done with a dead one was the guy took the tube out and installed an Apple 17" lcd monitor inside the plastic bubble that encases the tube. It was one of the 1st apple lcd's with the thick opal rim around the outside. It fit nicely inside and it looked fantastic! The computer was under the desk and the keyboard was in front. Now-a-days you could locate a mac mini inside the cabinet and use a wireless keyboard. They look totally amazing with a rich color picture from an lcd screen inside.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 21, 2008 at 11:48:39 pm

I too have an office/edit suite. On the rare occasion when a client visits, I toss the clutter in a closet and try to scrape the dried coffee stain from my desk. In the old days food and drinks near a $50,000 switcher were a big no-no. Now about the only thing in harm's way is a mouse and keyboard.
I have just a few things on the wall. The space shuttle launch has been with me since 1982.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Edit Suite Art
by on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:39:59 am

I count lava lamps as art and I sport 3 of different colors and sizes in my small suite. Enstein sticking out his tongue is the only wall art other than a metal sculpture.
Laid back is what an edit suite needs to be. If it looks like a lab, it just aint cool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]