BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How much is my computer worth?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
luke pearson
How much is my computer worth?
on Mar 16, 2008 at 8:54:39 pm

Hey guys. Need some major help. I have an old editing pc that I used when I got started doing my editing work. I mainly use it now as my play computer for email, music, and documents. I have a G5 i use for my editing now. I honestly don't know that much about how much computers are worth and was wondering what you guys thought. Here are its components: big black custom case with external lights and clear side panel, windows xp, AMD athlon 64 processor 3500 +, 2.21 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM, 70 GB Hard drive, sony DVD burner, Radeon X700 display adapters, NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA controller, firewire, usb, 1394 network adapter, ASUS A8NE motherboard

thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
Re: How much is my computer worth?
on Mar 16, 2008 at 9:28:32 pm

PCs lose value so fast it will make your head spin - these days, they seem to lose about 20-25% of their value PER MONTH.

Very few places even sell the Athlon 3500+ chip anymore because it's so outdated, but last I saw newegg had it for $40. Based on this, I'd say your rig is probably worth $100-$200, tops. You might be better off keeping it around for email, gaming etc or give it to a relative/friend/charity in need.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 17, 2008 at 12:11:42 am

I have a Discreet Edit that sold for $36,00 new in 2000. I'd sure like to get $1500 for it now.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Gary Chvatal
on Mar 17, 2008 at 2:26:05 am

I can't count how many times I've lusted about buying another discreet edit when I see used systems listed for sale...then I really think about it and come to my senses....so sorry you're stuck with one.

(I did luv my edit though....)

Just to get back on topic...old computers are worth much less to others than they are to you....

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on Mar 17, 2008 at 2:30:17 am

thanks guys. I mainly just want to get rid of it so I can get a laptop for class and travel. I just need a bulky desktop anymore for what I use it for. I'm probably going to try to sell it on ebay. It'll be worth it just getting rid of the thing so it will be out of my way. I appreciate the input.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Brendan Coots
on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:04:12 pm

If you're going to sell it, Craigslist is probably a better bet than Ebay. The shipping costs will end up being 50% of the purchase price going through Ebay, which given the low dollar value of the item this will scare most buyers away. With CL you can move it much faster, and at the price you want without having to lower it to accommodate shipping fees.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:20:34 am

Oh, I'm not stuck with it at all. I actually have two functioning units: a Pinnacle 3-D and a Matrox Digisuite. We have a movie on the Matrox that we're still working on, AND, when I nee to create something with some kick ass graphics, Edit does it in record time.

If I felt that I was stuck with them, I'd advertise them or part them out and recycle them.

We used to be a dealer for Metro in Burbank and we NEVER had a complaint about functionality. Glad you liked yours.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 17, 2008 at 1:13:45 am

Probably not much. See if you can find a similar computers on eBay for reference.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]