BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

NAB in Flux

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Wright
NAB in Flux
on Mar 14, 2008 at 8:03:59 pm

Well, so much for NAB weeping about Apple and Avid abandoning ship...

http://www.cable360.net/technology/news/28630.html

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: NAB in Flux
on Mar 14, 2008 at 8:46:52 pm

And you take that with a grain of salt. no idea who those vendors are and you have to figure NAB probably gave out at least a few deals to fill the space vacated by Apple and Avid.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 14, 2008 at 10:39:26 pm

EVERY year NAB has about 200 new companies that come and go. It's called "churn" and is a known phenomenon. They are just trying to take any marketing angle they can to try to undo the damage done to them by Avid and Apple departing.

Another name for it is "turning lemons into lemonade."

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Kyle Self
on Mar 15, 2008 at 11:51:00 pm

What NAB means to a company really depends on what they do. In the rush to show products and be seen everyone seems to have forgotten a long time ago that the B stands for Broadcasters.

It was a no win situation for Avid a long time ago, they never made the inroads with the newscutter system and station playback equipment they were hoping for. Apple needed the recognition and to be taken serious in the video field once upon a time. They don't need that anymore and the price for doing a show is an awful lot of $3000 computers and $1000 software boxes.

Now my ex worked for a company which did system automation. Shortly before we divorced she spent a lot of time in Malaysia setting up an entire satellite broadcasting facility. NAB was their bread and butter. They brought a system and set it up in the booth and unless you knew someone who had a system at their facility thats the only place you could see one fully up and running. They would walk out of NAB with millions in leads and orders. There would never be any doubt about setting up a booth.

If your market is broadcasters (especially things like automation, transmitters, etc.) NAB is still the place to be. I think for awhile there have been a lot of people taking their products to NAB who might have been better served spending their dollars elsewhere.

K

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Mar 16, 2008 at 5:34:36 am

Yep, different strokes for different folks....
makes the world go 'round.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Mar 16, 2008 at 6:23:51 am

[Kyle Self] "everyone seems to have forgotten a long time ago that the B stands for Broadcasters."

...I didn't and haven't forgotten that at all. In fact, in many of my writings on this subject I have said that I fully expect NAB to return to the show that it was 15 years ago when it was a broadcaster's show.

That is the point of NAB after all. All of our multimedia foray into NAB was just a distraction, one that made sense for a while but is making increasingly less sense for many companies as time goes on.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]