BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Following up... how much is too much?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Del VecchioFollowing up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 3:43:34 am

Hi,

Recently, I had put in a bid for a client that wanted to get a job done. He mentioned to me that he "wanted to go with my company," and I'm assuming it's because I was the most accomodating to him.

He told me that he would have an answer anytime between Feb 25th - 27th. After I did not hear from him, I called him later in the week to follow up and see if they had made a decision. This is when he informed me that he handed all the companies/bids over to his bosses and that he would have an answer by Wednesday, March 5th.

He told me to shoot him over an email and he would have an answer as to what they were going to do.

On March 5th, I sent him an email and... you guessed it... no response.

I would like to follow up again but I don't want to pester him, although I did do what he said and got no response. I also don't want to seem desperate. However, the job is for a really good amount of money and I don't want to just let it go.

What should I do? Should I follow up again with another phone call or email or should I just wait on them now?

Thanks so much!

Paul Del Vecchio

Paul Del Vecchio - Director
http://www.triple-e-productions.net

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 4:33:10 am

man, he's got your number.
I'm all about persistance. It's what ya persue that count, I think.
I admitidly follow up less than most. I call back once as practice, twice if I'm truely after it. Thats it tho.

I use to just be an editor. Man, I'd pick a place I wanted to work at and pretty much they either had to hire me or tell me to scram. I'd tell em that in some cases.
Now I'm in a different seat. A seat probably not unlike his somtimes. When the phone rings it's more of an interuption than a rejoice sometimes and when I get called over and over by the same dude, it can get pestering. Dont pester. Be top of mind. This is a dance that ya do and it's based on your personal relationship and intuition.
Does that mean call when that voice tells ya to? no sir.
just means make sure he has your number when a project is a go.

Return to posts index

Paul Del VecchioRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 4:50:12 am

Well, I'm not looking to work AT this place. His company is a potential client that found MY company.

Thing is, this job is for a really good amount of money, more WAY money than I've ever made in a year, and I really want it, but at the same time I don't want to be a pest and chase the guy. I'm just wondering if at this point, I should just wait and if I don't hear from him, then "oh well, that's life," or if I should follow up again in a few days or something.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 7:58:09 pm

Paul,

You've made your case to this guy, now move on and focus on other things. Nothing you can do now is going to change his mind... might even annoy him to the point of NOT choosing you.

File away in the back of your mind that even if you get the gig, this is how your communication with them is going to go! These kind of delays are going to cost you money. Either budget for them or have a plan in place to deal with it.

My guess is the minute you move on and book other work is the minute he'll get back to you and need it done "yesterday". Then you're in a great position to renegotiate "rush" fees.

He's delaying commitment because every time you call, he knows you're still available.

Good luck.

Mark

Return to posts index

Stan TimekRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 1:22:20 am

Paul,

One thing you might want to consider to drop him a short, hand-written note. Hand-written communication is so rare these days that the personal touch might be appreciated by your prospect. Plus it will be a communication avenue that he won't be expecting.

Might be worth a try.

Stan Timek

Pollywog Theater
http://www.pollywogtheater.com

-- check out --

http://www.HD4AppleTV.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 5:40:48 pm

Whatever else you do, do NOT be tempted to drop your rate or adjust your bid downwards. The delay could be for any of a hundred reasons. Just one of those might be that your bid was the only realistic one, and its more money than they planned to spend so they have to scramble to get more assets assigned to the project now. It could also be there's been a palace coup at their office and everything is in chaos until the new bosses put their, um (edited for content)"imprimatur", let us say... on the project.

I have had projects where the client's boss's office changed hands five times in two years, and nobody was able to pull the trigger to get a 30-second spot finished. Project became an orphan with nobody at the client office to shepherd it. I need some hard drive space and so since i have not heard back from the guy in months I archive the project offline and guess who calls the very next freaking day, as if by magic?
:-)

They could also just be tire-kickers who needed your bid for comparison purposes and never were serious, they already had someone else in mind but had to show three estmates, like you do for insurance company paperwork when your car needs body work.

If you have something likely coming up that will take the scheduled time they would have booked, it is fair and proper to send over another "raise or call" message saying: " ...based on our previous conversations, I had your project penciled-in on the schedule for this coming week, but if you can't make a hard commitment to the booking, I'm going to have to accept another client for that time and bump your project until later in the month. I wanted to be sure this won't disrupt your plans, and give you a chance to confirm your prior reservation for the time or to release it, based on your project's current status".

Leave that message by email and phone, then hold firm and be patient. If they don't call back after that, you know it's a dead deal. If they call back and only want to stall, or haggle on price, you have the fish on the hook. But as others have said, in that case, be exceptionally wary because of the unreliable nature of how they do business. They pay cash up front until they establish an account, and no new work or changes are made until the previous work is signed off and paid in full. That's just smart business.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2008 at 7:23:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm thinking they either went with another company or they (upper management) haven't made a decision yet. As of right now, I have nothing booked (eek!) so I'm free.

Mike Suszko, since I don't have anything booked right now, you think I should just concentrate on booking something else and not even follow up with the message you suggested, or should I send him that email anyway to make it look like I'm busy?

Who knew that in this business, you have to play these mind games... geez....

THE BLOG: http://tripleeproductions.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 9:13:09 pm

If they read this site, no:-)

If they don't, use the language I suggested, or something like it, as a little poke, then leave it be. You are under no compulsion to tell them who else you are or are not working for or when. Think of it as a poker bluff; in this guy's case, we don't even know if he's playing for real yet.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 10, 2008 at 10:40:56 pm

Okay cool.. I was just afraid that sending an email like that would maybe offend them or cause they to say, "Geez, he's a *$@!. I don't wanna do business with him.

Maybe I'll be firm, but word it a little nicer? I dunno... Maybe I'm just being too nice!

--
Paul Del Veccho
THE BLOG: http://tripleeproductions.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Following up... how much is too much?
by on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:52:18 pm

short answer:
three calls is too much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]