BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Do I have a "Kick Me" sign on my back?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Frechette
Do I have a "Kick Me" sign on my back?
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:57:57 am

Today I was lucky enough to have not just one, but a whole group just urinate on my business.

This is just a vent but I am sure you all have war stories.

I have been involved with our local airport for the last 2 years. I hire pilots to take me up. Now I find out the airport likes to pilot the plane AND take photos. The pilot said "I am up there so I might as well stick a camera out the window".

Fast forward to now. For the last few months our local town has been trying to shut down the airport. I have been donating my time as well as video and photography services. I provided thousands of dollars of photos for local and national magazines as well as speaking at our public meetings in favor of the airport.

Tonight they have a meeting and I attend but missed the last 2 because other appointments.

I hear someone announce that they are interested in a video and they had some hack show up when I wasn't there to give a presentation.

I asked one of the members about this video as well as why didn't they give me a call. I was told that I missed a meeting and they brought in this guy, who is a %&#(&*$ hack by they way. Did I mention he is a hack?

It just seems like I give back to get my name out there for the tune of hundreds of hours then they bring in some other %^@# stick.

Absolutely no courtesy what so ever. I have some great marketing ideas to help them out and they still piss on my head.

Sorry for the rant but I have reached the end of my rope. I don't like being someone's free screw.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Do I have a "Kick Me" sign on my back?
on Mar 4, 2008 at 4:12:56 am

Yikes...crummy day there, bud...

Just a minor point, but one thing of note: I'm not a commercial pilot, but I do have a fair number of hours behind the yoke... and noticed you said....

[Tim Frechette] "The pilot said "I am up there so I might as well stick a camera out the window"."

...I could be wrong (I need to research it), but it was my understanding that's illegal. Obviously, a commercial pilot can be a commercial photographer as well, but I think that he or she cannot be both at the same time. I seem to remember reading in FAA regs years ago that if you are piloting, you can't be the one shooting. I can't honestly say that I've never shot a couple of stills out the window just for fun, but I would never do it on a commercial job, and definitely not attempt to shoot video.

Am I wrong? Any other pilots in here?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Frechette
on Mar 4, 2008 at 4:37:33 am

From what I have been told if he has his commercial certificate he can do it. But the quality sucks, I have seen it. Just last month a heli pilot died trying to shoot stills and fly at the same time. These chuckle heads think they can do it all.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 4, 2008 at 5:16:19 am

I bet that is true... now that I think about it, I know a couple of survey pilots who fly solo... although from an aesthetic standpoint pushing the trigger on an underbelly camera is far different from artistic shooting, I bet from a technical standpoint the FAA considers it the same thing.

I did glance and couldn't find a FAR reg that prohibits it... maybe it was just my CFI years ago trying to scare me because she knew I was a photographer.

I will say though it is not recommended... for both artistic and safety reasons.

The airport may have indeed screwed you... but in the end they are only screwing themselves.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Mar 4, 2008 at 6:07:08 am

Tim,

You must be as sexy as I am. There isn't day that goes by that someone doesn't try to screw me.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Tim Frechette
on Mar 4, 2008 at 2:26:30 pm

ROFL Steve, that just made my day.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Lewis
on Mar 4, 2008 at 11:10:10 pm

Hi Tim,

I have seen it too many times, a professional gives a group a virtual gift of their services because they don't have much of a budget, then when the group finally has a "Real" budget, they hire someone else, usually a overconfident self-promoter who will screw the pooch [and them].

It's kinda like the article I read on looking out for "tire kickers" and the slick newly minted self-titled producers who say "if you do this "on spec" or very cheap, then eventually there will be more business from us, then they use you and move on to the next company. SIGH, whata business!

Cheers
Paul Lewis

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Mar 8, 2008 at 6:21:22 pm

Gad Tim, what a pain - we've all been there unfortunately. This thread hasn't left my mind the last couple of days. Here's my solution. Of course this is prefaced: I'm not an attorney and this is purely my thoughts on the subject. ;)

There's a high number of posts about copyright infringement. My suggestion is to let the hack go about his business. No doubt this organization you're involved with will volunteer that they already have tons of stock shots and video available - another sigh, he still gets paid the same and his work load is reduced.

Let them use as much of your material as they want that they have in their possession (whatever they volunteer, not you) and get the entire project completed. Then just simply hand then a cease and desist letter at the town preview party before they distribute. You could then work out a compensation deal.

Steve

Return to posts index

Tim Frechette
on Mar 11, 2008 at 2:15:11 pm

Follow up to the situation.

I contacted another individual in the organization and spoke to him in a professional manner and expressed my distaste over the situation.

He concured. A day later I met with 2 other head honchos after I received a very apologetic phone call from the original offender. He asked me to come back and present a proposal. The head honchos gave me the whole scoop.

Bottom line is that the other guy was brought in but my name was
raised more than once by more than one member at his meeting.

I was asked to present last night so I did. It went very well. I gave them my background, then shared some possible results and solutions without giving them the "How To".
Not only did they vote in favor of me immediately after my dog and pony show but they are going to pay me more than twice as much as the other guys quote. But they are going to get 50 times more for their money.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your professional opinions. It was greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]