BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

securing rights

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Riccasecuring rights
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:59:30 am

Just recently I had an idea to make a compilation DVD of the Tampa Bay area's indie/pop music scene. I would film some live shows, make some music video's and throw them all on a DVD with the some sponsoring from local music shops.

My question follows this scenario.

The DVD is all done, and many people are interested in buying it. however I've used music that is technically owned by record labels/artists. What forms/rights would I need to secure to sell these DVD's? and where can I find them, or any generic production forms for that matter.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: securing rights
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:39:17 pm

man, your gonna get hit high going though BMI or directly to the labels for permissions at this stage.
I suggest swapping out with some mucic ya pay for. You can have garage bands bust out some original stuff without breaking the bank and libraries like dewolfe are pretty awesome in that they will work with you on a blanket deal for your whole project rather than charging you per needledrop.
Unless you are gonna have massive gains from these DVDs, I see some recuttin' in your future.

Return to posts index

Christian RiccaRe: securing rights
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 4:23:28 pm

perhaps I didnt mention that these would be severly independent bands/labels who would look at the circulation of something like this more as publicity and marketing than some punk kid trying to make money off their music. I have already spoken with a few of the bands I am interested in working with (they play all original music) and they mentioned they would jump at the chance to do something like this if I actually try to pull it off.

Does this clarify the level I'm planning on working on?

We aren't talking atlantic records here. Or even what some assume to be an independent label, like fueled by ramen. I'm talking about working with the bands that work day jobs at dennys and skate shops so they can save money to rent a van for a two week tour in the southeast.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: securing rights
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 4:49:06 pm

I'd find an entertainment lawyer in your area and have them draw up a contract for the bands to sign.

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: securing rights
by on Mar 6, 2008 at 9:34:19 pm

Sounds like a great "make work project"! As long as these bands are not already signed to a recording label you should be able to do what Andrew suggested with a contract to get started.

Get a budget worked out to pitch to the venues and other sponsors. For example it will cost $10,000.00 to film and edit and author dvd's with nice packaging. Get 5 sponsors to kick in $1000.00 (or more) up front to have their names and signage on the cover and appearing throughout the video with a strong presence. Explain you need to recoup the balance through dvd sales so you get the 1st chunk of those profits or say 75% till you get your end covered, after that the clubs and bands get an even cut. The bands can sell them at all their gigs and it will make them look more accomplished. The venues can sell them as well. I can see each band selling the dvd a little harder if it were just them on the dvd. You may end up producing a set of dvd's.

If the musicians don't have a sound guy with a mixer you should try to team up with one who has the smarts and the gear so you can record a decent live recording and feed a mix to one of your cameras.

Upsell your sponsors on the idea of producing their own 30" tv spot to be filmed concurrently for a bargain price as there is some over lap. The tourism for Tampa Bay could also be prospective clients.

Watch out for trade marks and logos in your shots. Recognizable people in the audience should be band groupies or wives and friends who sign model releases.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Christian RiccaRe: securing rights
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 7:14:24 pm

Thanks Rennie. This was definitely planned as a "make work" project. a little somehting to help get my name out there.

Definitely some valuable information in your response.
Thanks to you and everyone to replied.
Looks like i will be diving into this.

Wish me luck

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: securing rights
by on Mar 8, 2008 at 6:23:25 pm

so get permissions and rock on, man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved