BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aujom ProductionsBook for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:05:57 pm

It's hard to believe, but I'm taking a week long vacation. I'd like to take a book to read. Usually I only read manuals and tutorials, but those are pretty worthless without a computer in front of me.

If you could take one industry-related book on a vacation, what would it be? Something related to: business in general, editing concepts, motion graphics concepts, videography or similar preferred. I'm an independent producer focused on After Effects and FCP. And the million other things we all do ourselves these days (shooting, encoding, client service, accounting, DVD authoring, etc.)

Thanks for your input! Cheers, Brian

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 12:21:43 am

Droidmaker - this is a comprehensive history of digital editing. As with computer animation, George Lucas is partly responsible.

For something completely different, read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell or Freakonomics. Those books get you thinking.

Enjoy your vacation.

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 3:22:41 pm

I'd like to commend this recommendation - The Droidmaker is a fabulous book that details the genesis of our current media world, at lest in a technical sense.

I might also suggest the Tao Te Ching, a must read for aspiring editors (and everyone else.)

Then you might want to try God Knows by Joseph Heller, if you want to laugh a little. You did say it was a vacation.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Christian GlaweRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 4:12:28 am

You may not like hearing this, but I'd seriously consider reading something *not* related to the "industry". I find I need to "flush my cache" from time to time... and it's hard to make yourself do it, what with the day-in, day-out patterns we get ourselves into...

I like intelligent sci-fi (Heinlein, Gibson, etc.)...

Or... if you *must* do something "industry related", get yourself a stack of print/logo design periodicals, and just casually flip through them... this is a lot of fun, and great way to remind yourself that this stuff is creative....

I find that most industry periodicals are nothing more than glorified gear reviews - yes, it's good to know about the new gear... but in terms of bettering yourself as a creative artist, prolonged exposure to these things is bad for your health...

If you absolutely *must* read something industry related, "In The Blink Of An Eye" by Walter Murch is a good read...

Christian Glawe
Read my blog:
Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Craig AndersonRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 5:29:00 am

For an editing/industry related book, try The Conversation by Michael Ondaatje. It goes into editing and film theory and philosophy with Walter Murch. It's a nice casual read with moments of genius thrown in.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 4:26:00 pm

While, "In the Blink of an Eye" is on my "all time best editing related books list", a book that I read recently that I'd recommend is "Made to Stick" by Chip and Dan Heath. It's about making sure that your ideas stick with people when you communicate.

Building on an idea brought forth by Malcom Gladwell in his bestseller "The Tipping Point", "Made to Stick" has caused me to rethink how I approach some projects from scriptwriting to post production.

Return to posts index

Darren EdwardsRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Feb 29, 2008 at 4:06:04 pm

If it's a techy read:

Blain Brown - 'Cinematography: Theory and Practice'
Big, thick, upto date, lots of illustrations and marvellously

Paul Wheeler - '24p and High Definition' (second ed.)
There's a barely any difference between the 1st and 2nd
editions - which is a bit of a pisser if you've paid for

Old school
Goethe - 'Theory of Colours'
Focused on paint, primarily, obviously, but some interesting
aesthetical philosophy about how our eyes perceive., amongst
other things, luminance.

Return to posts index

Aujom ProductionsRe: Book for Vacation Reading (Cross-posted)
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 9:38:21 pm

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to go with:
The Tipping Point
Those should be plenty for one week. Thanks again, Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved