BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Pricing for shooting stock footage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim FrechettePricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 2:12:24 am

Hello All,

First post in such an honorable and great forum of professionals.

After reading as many threads as I could over the last few months I have a question.

I have been approached by a very large and specialized stock photography agency. The want to add video and will be setting up a full 2 day shoot for photography and want to shoot video as well for stock footage.

They sell this footage world wide.

I would like to know if anyone has experience in pricing for shooting stock footage. In my idea of pricing this I was going to inquire about their market share, website traffic, and current as well as projected client base.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Pricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:29:21 am

Welcome to the Cow Tim! Now, on to your question...

Seems to me that the way you're approaching this initially is to consider the gig as a form of partnership, tying your fees and possible royalties to the projections and success of someone else's company.

Personally, I would approach the situation a little differently, probably as more of a hired gun. Unless you are absolutely certain they're going to make bloody a fortune and that they want to take you along for the ride, I'd wish them luck in their new endeavor, and try to become a regular hired gun, but I'd gladly just take my day rate and run to the bank to deposit it and leave it at that.

I'm sure others here may advise you otherwise, but that's my take...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Pricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:08:41 am

I would kind of have to agree with David. Just take the day rate and be done with it. If you want more control, just shoot some stock footage everytime you're out on location or when you have some free time and sell it through places like iStockPhoto.com and RevoStock.com and others that are popping up like them. You get a few bucks each time someone buys a clip.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Tim FrechetteRe: Pricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 1:55:40 pm

Thanks for taking the time Walter.

I didn't want to leave money on the table if these stock clips are going all over the world. I would rather not take on any type of partnership but do as you stated, day rate. But I may increase my day rate a bit since this is such a very limited shoot.

Thanks Again
Tim

Return to posts index

Tim FrechetteRe: Pricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 4:14:07 pm

My apologies David, I also appreciate your input but failed to thank you in the other post.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Pricing for shooting stock footage
by on Feb 27, 2008 at 5:20:57 pm

No problem. And, don't worry about leaving money on the table, that causes nothing but grief. Just establish a day rate that makes you feel worthwhile, and fight to get it if you have to.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]