BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Crystal BehrendsEditing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Feb 24, 2008 at 10:03:44 pm

Hello,

I have searched this forum for the answer I'm looking for, but still have not found what I need answered.

I have been a full-time employee at a production company for quite some time now and on occasion, I will do some freelance motion graphics work. I have a set hourly rate for that, but recently I was asked what my editing freelance rate is and now I'm confused as to how I should price my rates. Do I separate the editing and motion graphics freelance rates or combine them into one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Feb 25, 2008 at 3:02:23 am

An hour is still an hour no mater what you are doing.

Determine what you want to be making and charge accordingly.
http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Crystal BehrendsRe: Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Feb 25, 2008 at 3:57:38 am

Okay, I guess that was the answer I was looking for. I saw the link to that site in another thread, thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph M. MorganRe: Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Feb 26, 2008 at 8:56:21 pm

OK... I want to make $1000 an hour. Wait... I can't do that because Jim-Slim charges $900, but he's going broke because Mary-Mee charges $800, etc. etc.

Charging the rate you want is not reasonable because it doesn't consider competition. Wal-Mart became the largest retailer in the world by charging less than the competition.

Whereas I agree one should charge a rate for their time and skills and not compromise, the reality is a rate should be somewhat in the range of what others in the trade charge for a particular skill.

Like any other business plan, one must consider the market competition. If you have no competition you charge just about anything you like. However, if you want to charge at $45/hour, but your competition charges $35 an hour, you're essentially out of business before you begin, unless your competition is really bad at customer service.

Interestingly enough, quality doesn't always define a boundary. I see plenty of my competition making money on really bad work, even though we've made our customer base aware of our superior quality.

Search large job databases in your area to help determine the rate being requested... which is usually less than what is sold.

Joe

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2008 at 11:11:16 pm

Thank you for your response Joe! That helped out a great deal!!

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Feb 28, 2008 at 6:03:31 pm

Bingo! A lot of freelancer posts I read on message boards seem to forget that they are small business entities, and that they are competing against other small businesses aka contractors.

All other things being equal, rate is more than likely going to be the deciding factor in getting hired or not, yet many, many freelancers write things like "You should decide what you would like to make this year, then add 50% to that amount just to be safe." Ah, if only life were so...

Of course NOT being equal is the goal - working faster, delivering better quality, better accuracy, working as a partner with your employer rather than a mere hired gun, things like this make you worth more and less subject to price competition.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

Ryan HamiltonRe: Editing vs Motion Graphics Freelance Rates
by on Mar 7, 2008 at 10:41:35 pm

Does no one want to offer concrete suggestions and information. I think what would be really helpful for people and juniors wanting to learn about rates would be if the members with experience who have done several jobs would say " this is an example of what I did for x amount and it took x hours " A beginner can then say, ok, I'm not as experienced and my quality isn't as good ( perhaps they feel their skills are better ) in which case they can say based on this knowledge I feel charging 75$ an hour is fair.

As a rookie, basing rates on your overhead, expenses and desired salary don't really help if you have no idea whether or not your way below or way above other people in the field.

All that said. I charge $700/day $400/half day for photography
$50/hour for web design/motion/graphic design.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 8, 2008 at 1:06:35 am

Thanks for posting your rates Ryan. I was hoping someone would so I could get a better idea!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]